Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Exclamation Difference between ND and UV Filter!

Can you tell me the difference between the ND Filter, UV Filter and the Skylight Filter? All I know is that these are use to prevent the front element of the lens but what is the difference and which is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsh
    Can you tell me the difference between the ND Filter, UV Filter and the Skylight Filter? All I know is that these are use to prevent the front element of the lens but what is the difference and which is better.

UV and skylight filters cut off the Ultraviolet, while the ND filter cut off some of the light intensity. (ND have different number that have different amount of cutoff intensity)

Quote Originally Posted by Arsh
    Think of an ND filter as a set of sunglasses for your camera. They cut the light reaching the sensor so that you can use slower shutter speeds on a bright day. I use a graduated ND filter quite a bit for landscapes. The top half is darker than the bottom half, so that I don't get washed out skies.

UV filter cuts the amount of UV light, making hazy days seem much clearer. Speaking of clear, the filter is!

Skylight is just a clear piece of glass designed to protect your lens.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Well, many people seem to be confused with UV and Skylight.

UV --> Cut off UV.
    Skylight --> Cut off bluish cast!

The main purpose of Skylight is to remove blue cast in images taken at high altitude.

Hence, go for UV, unless you are climbing high.

P.S. There is lense-protecting-only filter too. I cannot remember the exact name and guess manufacturers title their own protective filters.

... re:skylight:

There are almost no skylight filters made anymore. While there are many filters sold with that name, most are virtually clear glass and have no photographic effect. A true skylight filter, like Nikon's old L1a, have a distinct pink-rosey hue. They tint the picture to remove excessive blue in pictures taken in bright shade (lit by the sky instead of the sun and hence the filter's name) and can also be effective _with film_ when photographing on overcast days. Such mild filters are quite pointless with digital cameras where that minor a color error is easily cured after the fact and the extra glass poses too much risk of quality loss (flare, sharpness, spurious internal reflections, ...).
    ---
    dwig

Thanks!!!

Thank you guys this is really very helpful. I will buy the UV filter for my lens.