Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question software for FZ20 SD Viewer

Hi I'm the new owner of a FZ20 and was wondering what others did to download photos from their camera. I was a bit perplexed with the SD Viewer. I'm not sure how I managed to download them,the first time I thought I had them but when I disconnected the camera theyd disappeared.
    Could someone tell me the basic steps please,I'm not finding the manual all that clear. Photoshop Elements 3 opened at the same time and wanted to download the previews,it seemed simpler.
    I was blown away at my first try of the zoom,it brought up houses I could barely see across town !!!
    I got a lot of guidance by reading your posts before I decided on this camera.
    Cheers
    Moira

I tried SDViewer when I first got it but have changed to Photoshop album so I am not exactly sure but somewhere in SD viewer the is a preference box maybe under file or edit .. look around you will find it and there you can set where you want the photos transferred to and if you want them removed from the card after the transfer.
    I made a folder in My Pictures called FLUZI and that is where I transfer the photos and have them removed from the camera at the completion of the transfer.
    Although it works the same way it is in my opinion to use a card reader to transfer photos to the computer, they are inexpensive 15 bucks or so and are faster and save your battery.
    You also can copy the photos to the computer without using Any program by using windows explorer.
    The thing is to make a folder where you want the pictures to be copied to.

Gene
    http://grc225.zenfolio.com/
    http://imageevent.com/grc6
    one of these days I'll understand!

Panasonic FZ20 & FZ30,FZ18
    D50 -- D80

Quote Originally Posted by Moira
    Hi I'm the new owner of a FZ20 and was wondering what others did to download photos from their camera.
    I use a "card reader" to transfer the files. It works just like having an external disk drive. Most are 'plug and play' and you can use Window Explorer to 'drag and drop' the files from the card onto your hard drive. Just plug it into a USB port. I got one of these at Sam's Club for about $20 ...

* Eliminate complex and difficult camera-specific file-transfer connectivity and software
    * Move your files 40 times faster than through a serial port and without draining the batteries of your device
    * Transfers data from different card types simultaneously
    * Access your media card like any removable storage drive - simply plug in your memory card and Windows® will recognize it as a drive letter
    http://customer.stratitec.com/produc...oducts_id=1472

The zoom is nice huh?

Do you use Windows XP? I use the Microsoft Scanner and Camera wizard to import pictures.

Thumbs up

thanks so much you guys........I;m off to buy a card reader tomorrow. I never considered them before but it makes sense especially doing away with handling the camera trying to insert the cable,its a bit bulky here on my desk,I'm terrified I might drop it. I couldn't find preferences/options in SD Viewer but just used Ps Elements,it was a breeze,I just sort of went with the flow. I use XP and saw the photo handling capabilities,I might try that when I'm more confident I think I was nervous at having to work so many new proceedures. Now I'm off to check reviews on card readers LOL
    Thanks once again everyone
    Moira

FWIW - I got a PNY USB 2.0 SD reader for FREE when I bought an SD card for my stepmom at Staples a couple of months ago and it works great with my KingMax 66X 512MB SD card. I think at this point the readers themselves are pretty generic. If you need a SD card see if you can get one bundled with a reader. My $.02
    Canon A720 IS, 40D w/ BG-E2N, 28 1.8, 50 1.4, Sigma 70 2.8 macro, 17-40 F4 L, 24-105 F4 L IS, 70-200 F4 L IS, 430 EX, Kenko 2X TC & Ext Tubes, AB strobes and more...
    View my photo galleries here: imageevent.com/24peter

Quote Originally Posted by gary_hendricks
    Do you use Windows XP? I use the Microsoft Scanner and Camera wizard to import pictures.
    This only works with the camera in PictBridge mode. In USB mode aka PC mode, it's just another removeable hard drive to the system. I don't think that the instructions are all that clear, and most people think that they have to use the PC mode and may not be aware of XP's PictBridge capacity.

For those who have a pc, consider the free viewer from google.

It's at www.picasa.com
    I think you might like it.

Everett

I bought a USB 2.0 multi-card reader and use that to dump the pictures exclusively. When I plug the reader in and insert my SD card, my laptop sees it as my G: drive. I have a folder called c:\img\DigitalPhotos and create a subdirectory called (for today) 2005-03-09 <subject> And then I simply cut and paste the files from the card (G to the new directory.

I've not even broken the seal on my FZ20 Software yet, though having the panorama software might be worth keeping.

Another tip... I usually rename the pictures from the default numerical names. To do this in Windows XP,

sort them by filename ascending (001-010)

and then select them all IN REVERSE ORDER, click #010 first and then SHIFT-click #001.

Hit F2 to rename the pictures... Example "Joey's Birthday.jpg". XP with automatically append the next number to each one -- so you get:

Joey's Birthday.jpg
    Joey's Birthday (1).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (2).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (3).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (4).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (5).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (6).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (7).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (8).jpg
    Joey's Birthday (9).jpg

Now click on the first file by itself, hit F2 again and do the right arrow four times and enter " (0)" and press ENTER.

This gives you:

Joey's Birthday (0).jpg

And now you have the files with meaningful names and retain your photo order.

FYI, the date I use for the folder allows them to be sorted properly by date. Putting year, month, day keeps them in proper chronological order.

Hope this helps!
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by everettf
    For those who have a pc, consider the free viewer from google.

It's at www.picasa.com
    I think you might like it.

Everett

yeah this one is great.

but i use the default windows thing that pops up and ask what i want to do. then i can choose, any one program or just have them open in a simple folder, which i usually do and when i have time i go back and play with the pics. and thats with using the usb cable that cable with the cam.

if im in a hurry i use the card reader on my epson.