Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

dSLR for action shot business?

Okay... I want to start a business taking action shots at local sporting events such as youth leagues and animal shows. I am a beginner but a quick learner. I have a budget of $1,000 for the camera and more for the appropriate lense. I also need to purchase photoshop. So far, I have found buy searching websites and reviews that the Nikon D70 is the best for my needs. I need to be able to zoom to the outfield and catch the action as it happens with great detail. I realize that I have alot to learn and would appreciate any advice related to my camera purchase and suggested lenses.(AFS VR Zoom 70-200?) I plan on making the purchase within the next 2 weeks so I can get in some practice before the season starts.
    Thank-you!

Quote Originally Posted by actionshots
    Okay... I want to start a business taking action shots at local sporting events such as youth leagues and animal shows. I am a beginner but a quick learner. I have a budget of $1,000 for the camera and more for the appropriate lense. I also need to purchase photoshop. So far, I have found buy searching websites and reviews that the Nikon D70 is the best for my needs. I need to be able to zoom to the outfield and catch the action as it happens with great detail. I realize that I have alot to learn and would appreciate any advice related to my camera purchase and suggested lenses.(AFS VR Zoom 70-200?) I plan on making the purchase within the next 2 weeks so I can get in some practice before the season starts.
    Thank-you!
    The D70 will work very well for most team sports shooting. Make sure that you use a high speed CF memory card for this purpose (Ultra II, or 60X+).

If you were shooting high speed motorsports, then you might want to think about the Canon 20D as it can shoot at 5fps (frames per second). But again the D70 should do fine at 3fps.

Image Stabilized lenses (AS, IS, OS, and VR) may or may not be of benefit for sports shooting as they are mainly for camera shake and not for stopping the action. For the difference in price (and performance) you might want to consider using a good monopod (about $80) and a good non-stabilized lens.

According to the Lens Test Guide, there are several non-stabilized (non-VR) big zooms like the Sigma AF f2.8 70-200 ($799) or the lower cost Sigma AF f4-5.6 70-300 APO Macro ($199).

Both of these lenses are rated near the top of their catagory and will not cost you a limb. The Sigma f2.8 is rated very good, and the Sigma 70-300 is rated in the "high-average" catagory, but for $199 it's worth a try as it outperformed most in the 300mm consumer zoom catagory.

You might want to consider renting the VR lens before you buy it and compare it to the non-stabilized lenses above before dropping $1800.

Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina all make multiple camera mount lenses for all major SLR's and dSLR's.

Hope this helps.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

I'd warn you that lens costs will probably outweigh the cost of the camera for action sport photography.

70>200 2.8 L IS is the canon lens to own for sports.

Tim