Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Unsure of which DSLR to buy

I am a complete newbie when it comes to camers and phtography but I want to learn and get into it.
    Now that you know where I am coming from I am looking for a camera to take portrait/still pictures along with outdoor sports (soccer) pictures.

I have been looking at the Nikon D70, Canon 20D, and the upcoming Rebel XT. I am the type of person that always wants to get the best even though I will not use all the features but I am trying to get away from that with this purchase.

The one thing I am looking to get out of this camera is lots of use for many years.

Should I buy what camera would you recommend?
    Should I buy just the body or the kit?
    If just the body, what lense?

Please advise

I was in the same situation a little while ago (the 350D wasn't in the picture but the 300 was) and I chose to go with the 20D. I have learned even more about cameras and I am still glad that I went with the 20D. Overall I went with the 20D for the following reasons:

1. Shoot up to 3200 ISO with very low noise
    2. 5 FPS for 26 shots
    3. 100,000 cycle shutter
    4. Overall feel of the camera
    5. Canon brand name
    6. 8MP sensor (for large photo printing and cropping)
    7. Build Quailty (Magnesium Alloy Body)
    8. Small features such as Custom Kelvin WB and WB Bracketing

The fact that the 20D has a 100,000 cycle shutter rating (estimate) was something that I recently learned and is a nice feature. (The D70 has a life of approx 40,000 cycles and the 300D/350D has a life of approx 50,000 exposures.) Another nice feature of the 20D is the excellent noise performance even at higher ISO's. Overall if you are on a stricter budget the 350D, D70 or even the 300D will be excellent cameras. You may also want to consider purchasing the 300D or D70 and spending the rest of your budget on nice lenses and a nice flash. Overall I think most people will tell you that whatever camera you buy, you should purchase just the body and get the lenses separately. Usually the kit lenses are not of the highest quality. Overall it would be more helpful if you were to give an explanation on how you plan to use the camera, that way we can get a better idea of which lens(es)/camera would fit you the best.

You may want to take a look at this form created by Rex914 for people in your exact situation

Hope this helps
    Ken
    Last edited by ktixx; 03-03-2005 at 03:31 PM.
    Canon dSLR User

I will be taking outdoor sports pictures and just some everyday pics of the family.

I have about $1,300.00 to spend.

You'd probably be best off buying just the body and adding on one decent lens for starters.

In the case of Canon, you'd get the XT for $900. That leaves you $400 for a lens. You can get a great Sigma or Tamron lens for that price or a standard Canon lens (like the popular 28-135 IS). You will also want to pick up a 50mm f/1.8 ($75) for the portraits.

If you went with Nikon, things become different. It'd be a better deal to get the kit lens and pay just $1100 upfront. The lens is pretty versatile already and should cover normal shooting, leaving you $200 for whatever else you want.

I'm a Canon person so naturally, I'll recommend the XT. It is the friendlier choice for a beginner, and it's also a little lighter in weight. You get most of the features of the 20D at a fraction of the price.