Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

bad results with tamron & sigma

I'm far from a professional but have spent a couple of years shooting on my elan 7 with a tamron 28-200 af aspherical xr and had good results.
    I've tried it numerous times with my digital rebel but the focus is generally
    soft compared the lense that came with the digital rebel ( 18-55mm). I just tried shooting outside with a considerably faster shutter speed and higher iso to see if it was camera shake while zooming in more etc but the results are not as good as the inexpensive lense that came with the kit. I also tried my brothers sigma fixed lense I believe it's a 2.8 aperture lense (maybe its a 28mm lense it cost around 200$) anyway I got over exposed photos with that lense while shooting in auto (green mode-which I thought would at least meter fairly correctly) on the beach. Am I missing
    something obvious here as in I'm clueless about digital slr's etc? or is it these fairly inexpensive 3rd party lenses aren't the way to go? I've been
    looking for something to upgrade to as a better quality all purpose lense to replace the tamron and to be able to be a bit more creative than the 18-55mm that came with the dig rebel.
    canon makes another digital lense, efs 18-85 with IS for $600. but I would like to have backward compatibility with the elan if possible and I think the IS makes up a good portion of the price of that lense.

Please any help from you pro's/semi pro's would be very helpful.

Rebel/Eos 20D Lenses

I too have been disappointed recently with Sigma lenses, especially the 18-125mm. So I returned it and took the re-stocking charge.

I have not tried Tamron lenses.

Sarah Joyce

Its not the brand its the range, you have given two of the longest focal range lenses as you examples...

The Sigma 50mm DG EX Macro is brilliant quality, but it is not trying to cover 7x or 10x focal range at a budget price and in a small package. Those lenses are not meant to be high quality lenses, they are convieniance lenses, and cheap ones at that, and they serve their purpose well.

A couple of things to consider:

On your Elan 7, you probably never looked at images as closely as you look at the images created by your DReb - i.e. print a few of the images from the DReb at 4x6 and compare them to prints from the Elan.

As for your brother's lens, is is possible that you forgot to lower the ISO, and the camera couldn't compensate with a fast enough shutter speed?

I have used both expensive and inexpensive Canon and 3rd party lenses on my DReb, and have been able to create acceptable images from all of them.
    www.jamisonwexler.com

Canon 5dII|Canon 5D|Canon 40D|Sigma 15 f2.8|Canon 35 f1.4|Canon 50 f2.5|Canon 50 f1.8|Canon 85 f1.2|Canon 17-40 f4|Canon 18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS|Canon 24-105 f4 IS|Canon 28-105 f3.5-4.5|Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS|Canon 75-300 f4-5.6 IS|Kenko 1.4x TC|Canon 580ex X3|Canon 380exII |Canon 420ex|Sunpak 383 x4|Sunpak 120j x2|Sunpak 622|Elinchrom Skyports

Past Gear

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    I too have been disappointed recently with Sigma lenses, especially the 18-125mm. So I returned it and took the re-stocking charge.

I have not tried Tamron lenses.

Sarah Joyce
    I am surprised at your disappointment. I and several others on DCRP have been using the 18-125 for several months with the D70 (and Canon) and the pictures have been at least as good as the Nikkor 18-70 DX (and I assume the Canon kit) lens.

You can check out some examples here:

http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

The majority of these photos ere taken with the Sigma, and some with both Tamron (28-300) and Nikkor (18-70).
    Last edited by D70FAN; 03-01-2005 at 07:56 AM.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by jamison55
    A couple of things to consider:

On your Elan 7, you probably never looked at images as closely as you look at the images created by your DReb

As for your brother's lens, is is possible that you forgot to lower the ISO, and the camera couldn't compensate with a fast enough shutter speed?
    I think that is possible for sure with the ability to look at the images on my mac in photoshop but I'm not totally convinced. as far as my brothers lense goes, I do believe I tried shooting in auto/green which doesn't allow for iso changes but I'll have to go back and check the photos, you may be right.

thanks for the input, much appreciated. also, I noticed a few people seem to really like the canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, any additional thoughts about that lense anyone? thanks

Sigma 18mm-125mm

George-

Perhaps I just got a lemon. The kit lens that came with my Canon 20D is measurable better in quality than the Sigma. I bit the bullet and ordered a Canon 70mm-135mm IS lens, to see if I could really up my quality level.

Sarah Weber

Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    George-

Perhaps I just got a lemon. The kit lens that came with my Canon 20D is measurable better in quality than the Sigma. I bit the bullet and ordered a Canon 70mm-135mm IS lens, to see if I could really up my quality level.

Sarah Weber
    Very weird. Guess there is a lemon sooner or later, but I know that Sigma has really upped their QC efforts in the past 3 years, so I am surprised. As you can see from the shot up on smugmug, even at f5.6 it's pretty decent.

Do you mean the 28-135 IS? Not much left on the wide angle side, and it's still consumer glass, but should work as well as the kit lens.

OR did you mean the 70-200 f2.8 L IS?!!! If it's the later then your bank account took quite a beating, but you bought one of the best that Canon makes.

Let us see how the new lens works.
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...

Quote Originally Posted by acoustech
    I think that is possible for sure with the ability to look at the images on my mac in photoshop but I'm not totally convinced. as far as my brothers lense goes, I do believe I tried shooting in auto/green which doesn't allow for iso changes but I'll have to go back and check the photos, you may be right.

thanks for the input, much appreciated. also, I noticed a few people seem to really like the canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, any additional thoughts about that lense anyone? thanks
    i agree with the post about being able to inspect pixels. in fact, lenses are supposed to perform better on digitals with the crop factor vs. full frame because the softest part of a lens is usually the corners and with the crop factor they aren't even in the shot! the over exposeure does sound wierd. would you be able to try out that lens again?

as you have probably already heard, the 17-40L is a pretty nice lens. it's one of the most affordable high performace L lenses available. i own the lens and i don't have much to add other than saying that it has excellent flare resistance for a such a wide angle, in fact better than the 16-35L which is around $1300. in the worst, unavoidable flare conditions you'll get one or sometimes two tiny pink specs that are easy to clone out. compare that to the 28-135 IS(good lens IMO) in the same condition/location and you get a whole chain of gigantic flare rings going from one corner to the other (no filters attached).

Canon 70mm-135mm IS Lens

The Canon F 2.8 70mm-135mm IS arrived today and I have a photo sample for you. IMHO it is a good deal better than the Sigma 18mm-125mm lens that it replaced.

www.digicamlady.smugmug.com/gallery/418242

I hope that you will be able to see enough of the digital photo to see real detail.

Sarah Joyce
    Last edited by speaklightly; 03-01-2005 at 05:13 PM.