Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising
 
 
 
   
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2

    Best camera for far away shots

    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards a great camera that can take amazing pictures from far away. I'm going to England in the Fall and I know my little camera wont do the trick. I need to be up in someone's face with my current camera to take a clear digital photo.
    I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of picture from far away when I'm in England, so anything that would work for that would be great.

    Is there any specific requirement on a digital camera that I should look for when picking one out, for detailed shots like that? Like zoom or megapixels?

    Thanks for all your help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianna19
    Hi,

    I was wondering if anyone could direct me towards a great camera that can take amazing pictures from far away. I'm going to England in the Fall and I know my little camera wont do the trick. I need to be up in someone's face with my current camera to take a clear digital photo.
    I'm sure I'll be taking a lot of picture from far away when I'm in England, so anything that would work for that would be great.

    Is there any specific requirement on a digital camera that I should look for when picking one out, for detailed shots like that? Like zoom or megapixels?

    Thanks for all your help!
    In Britain in autumn expect rain and completely overcast skies with no sunshine for 90% of the time.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the tip. I'll remember to bring extra rainjackets!
    Any tips on possible cameras, lol.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianna19
    Thanks for the tip. I'll remember to bring extra rainjackets!
    Any tips on possible cameras, lol.
    That was a tip...

    Don't expect much joy from long focal lengths. Think in terms of wide zooms rather than long zooms.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    That was a tip...

    Don't expect much joy from long focal lengths. Think in terms of wide zooms rather than long zooms.
    Poor light? Another job for dSLR's...
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Formerly South Wales. Now South Carolina.
    Posts
    7,147
    Quote Originally Posted by George Riehm
    Poor light? Another job for dSLR's...
    As John would say "another job for a Panasonic FZ10"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    538
    I would think that one of the "mega-zooms" would do you well - something in the 10x-12x range, and something that is at the smaller end of the range of physical sizes for mega-zoom cameras. You should look at the reveiws for the Panasonic FZ3, Canon S1 IS, Olympus 765, Fuji 5100, and Minolta Z3. All are excellent choices for an all-round camera. If I remember correctly, the Oly is the smallest camera, and the Fuji and Canon are the largest. None however are so large as to be a burden to a traveler.

    The big difference between these models is that some have "image stabilization" (IS), which will compensate somewhat for camera shake when taking pics at slow shutter speeds. This will sooner or later happen, especially in a dim place such as England (the place, not the people...). I think that if one is going to get a mega-zoom, then you might as well get one with IS. The Canon, Minolta, and Panasonic all have IS. All are fine cameras, and all have something the others don't have. For instance, the Canon has an articulating lcd, the Minolta uses AA's and has a very good movie mode (from what I've heard - I don't do movies myself...). The big feature of the Panasonic FZ3 is that it's lens is slightly faster than the others, which just might make a difference on rare occasion. Check out the reviews....

    PhilR.
    mind the gap....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys
    As John would say "another job for a Panasonic FZ10"
    Or FZ-20 Maybe. Where is John anyway?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,146
    George-

    John is mountain climbing in the Andes in South America.

    Sarah Joyce

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Monterey Bay
    Posts
    6,028
    Quote Originally Posted by speaklightly
    George-

    John is mountain climbing in the Andes in South America.

    Sarah Joyce
    Thanks Sarah,

    I go to Japan for a week and he thinks he can sneak off to Paru/Equidor/Chile. I'll bet he is having a blast.

    And he hasn't posted any pictures? What is wrong with that guy?
    D7000, D70, CP990, CP900, FE.
    50mm f/1.8, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8, Nikon 18-105 VR, Nikon 55-200 VR, Nikon 43-86 f/3.5 AiS, Vivitar 28-90 F/2.8-3.5 Macro, Vivitar 75-205 F/3.8-4.8, SB800.
    Ha! See, I can change...


    http://d70fan.smugmug.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •