Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Camera freezes while reviewing images

I encountered this problem a couple of days ago. When I'm reviewing pictures, a couple of them freeze the entire camera (FZ 10). The same thing happens when I try to upload those same exact pictures onto my computer. I double click them and it says "previewing image..." and nothing happens. What do you think is responsible for this problem, the camera or my picture card?

Smile FZ10 freezing

Some questions: how full is the memory card when this happens? Does it happen when the card is empty or empty-ish? How do you get round the problem? Are there any consistent settings on the camera that you know of when it happens or does it appear to be random?

Any information like that might help spark the identification of the problem.
    Bob Patterson

Re: Camera freezes while reviewing images

Quote Originally Posted by Aviller
    I encountered this problem a couple of days ago. When I'm reviewing pictures, a couple of them freeze the entire camera (FZ 10). The same thing happens when I try to upload those same exact pictures onto my computer. I double click them and it says "previewing image..." and nothing happens. What do you think is responsible for this problem, the camera or my picture card?
    To add to Bob's good questions:
    1) Were the images shot on the FZ10?
    2) Can you repeat the same problem with another memory card?
    3) Are you using an SD card, or a MM card?
    4) Which brand/size of card are you using?
    The memory card would be my first suspect.
    Let a be your umbrella!

I'm using an SD Card and the pics were taken with my FZ10. The strange thing is that this happened with only 2 pics...and there were 30 pics in between which didn't cause any trouble whatsoever. If I'm reviewing the pics on my pc, the thumbnails look normal. I now burned the pics to a cd and there's a gray bar on both of those pics and the size is slightly smaller (eg 1.3 MB instead of 1.5MB). This has never happened before, I'm using a 512MB SD card.

To answer some of your questions a bit more specifically. There were about 80 and 50 pics left on the card when I took those pics. I "multi-deleted" a number of pics the morning before I took those "problem-pics." I've never used another SD card with this cam so I don't know what might be behind all of this. I guess (hope) that this was just a random problem.

More needed

Mmm ... not sure any of that helps too much but it all adds to the understanding of the problem.

But I'd very much like to know how you cured the problem. Did you remove the card and/or the battery and in effect re-boot the camera when you put them back?

And one other thing springs to mind: were the pictures that were causing the problem taken in burst mode? If so, do you know how many were taken? That's me clutching at straws really but it could be an issue.
    Bob Patterson

No, I just turned the camera off, then turned it back on again. And the pictures weren't taken in burst mode.

Smile A guess

OK - that's useful and many thanks for the information.

All things considered I'm also inclined to think that it has to be the memory card. In any case, we're going to have to discount that before we start to think that it might be the camera.

Just in case you want to keep any images that are currently on the card, upload them to your PC and then format it. The card that is of course!!! That should get rid of any residual "corruptions" there may be on it. You can use the camera to do that.

Once that's done, I'd suggest you start to fill up the memory card by just photographing anything. Watch and see if it happens again. If it does, then clearly there's a continuing problem.

Also, to be able to totally discount the memory card as being the issue, I'm afraid you'll need to use another one and start to fill that up, still watching for the problem to resurface.

If it does, with a second card, then it almost certainly has to be a problem with the camera although I can't figure why it should be. I really would have thought that the problem would manifest itself with every photo you took if it was the camera, rather than just the odd one here and there. Still, you never know.

If the problem repeats itself then it would be almost certain that there's a problem with the camera - but quite truthfully, I'm a long way from believing that.

Would you let us know how you get on with it? It really does help and adds to everyone's knowledge and understanding and then, if someone else in the future has the same issue, they can get the advice they need.
    Bob Patterson

Format the card? What exactly do you mean by that (yes, I don't really know too much about technology )?

I've got the 16MB card that was part of the original package so I'll try to take some pics with that card and then I'll let you know how it went.

Re: Camera freezes while reviewing images

Quote Originally Posted by Aviller
    Format the card? What exactly do you mean by that (yes, I don't really know too much about technology )?

I've got the 16MB card that was part of the original package so I'll try to take some pics with that card and then I'll let you know how it went.
    To "Format the card" is to "wipe it clean," start it over from scratch, so to speak. You do it in the camera for the FZ10. With the mode switch in the "Review" mode (green arrow), hit the "Menu" button, and on the bottom of the second of two screens available under "Play" options, you'll see a "Format" choice. Select it, and tell it that "Yes," you do want to erase all data on the card. You can read about it in your instruction manual too.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Bokasmo Guest
    Hey, just registered on this board, and this topic is first thing I read.

This same problem happened one time before with my Nikon Coolpix 3200. It has never happened again!

The cause of this problem is corruption during the save picture process, which is usually due to power off before saving.

Did u perhaps power the cam off before it finished saving, or perhaps switched modes? That is the MOST likely thing.

I deleted all pics on my cam after transferring the pics to my computer's HD. Then I placed those 2 corrupted pics back onto the camera. When I went to view them, the cam froze! This has never happened since.

Hope this helps.