Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Ultra small camera with ultra big zoom! Nixon, Olympus or Panasonic?

I've been reading reviews, and "window shopping" but am still having problems deciding between three compact cameras with big zooms.

My short list is (in rough order of preference):
    Olympus C-765 (x10 optical zoom, 4 MP, and cheapest)
    Nixon Coolpix 4800 (only x8 zoom, 4MP)
    Panasonic FZ3 (x12 optical zoom plus Image Stablisation, but only 3 MP)

This is my first digital camera after many years of using a Pentax SLR and a Olymus "point and shoot". I'm hoping that the combination of compact size with big lens will mean I don't end up taking two digital cameras on every outing (like I doing with my 35mm's).

Photo's will be either holiday snaps, or of my wife's horse riding, so nearly always out doors. The zoom is needed for the horse pics (mainly show jumping) where you are normally kept 10 to 20m from the jumps.

I also like to take macro shots of flowers and other natural "finds" while on holiday. So I like having a camera on me at all times while traveling. Size and durability are important as the camera will be rattling around with sun-cream, sand and books while out and about.

The biggest I'll print the pictures is A4.

Anyone that has experience of these cameras...HELP!

check this out

they aggregate al the professional reviews
    you can also monitor the optical zoom scale
    what about the Z3?

http://www.viewscore.com/category_pa...%20and%20Above

Quote Originally Posted by aphonic
    they aggregate al the professional reviews
    you can also monitor the optical zoom scale
    what about the Z3?

For some reason the FZ3 doesn't show up on the list, but when I look it up, its aggregate score is 84.625, which would put it above the Z3 and the rest of the cameras on that list:
    http://www.viewscore.com/product_pag...egoryID=3&bt=2

niceguytwickers, given your concern with the FZ3's MPs, if you can wait, you might want to take a look at the FZ5 when it becomes available.
    Last edited by argo0; 02-28-2005 at 04:04 AM. Reason: left out link

Quote Originally Posted by argo0
    For some reason the FZ3 doesn't show up on the list, but when I look it up, its aggregate score is 84.625, which would put it above the Z3 and the rest of the cameras on that list:
    http://www.viewscore.com/product_pag...egoryID=3&bt=2

niceguytwickers, given your concern with the FZ3's MPs, if you can wait, you might want to take a look at the FZ5 when it becomes available.
    The FZ3 is on the list
    becose it is under
    Camera Type: Professional
    you need to play with the search attributes

Quote Originally Posted by niceguytwickers

I've been reading reviews, and "window shopping" but am still having problems deciding between three compact cameras with big zooms.
    I bought the Olympus c-755 for much the same reason you mention--compromise. I wanted the photo quality of my earlier slrs, but in a package small enough to carry in my coat pocket. The C-7xx series takes fine photos, but none of the cameras in this range are very good when it comes to high-speed sporting event. They all exhibit some degree of shutter lag, and they all require some time in focusing. To get best results, you'll have to focus beforehand on an object at the desired distance, and then foretell when the horse etc. is going to be at the desired position, and press the shutter enough in advance to get the picture. It won't always come out like you want, but you'll get lots of practice, and digital photos can be erased without paying for developing. Otherwise, move up to a dslr--with all the bulk and weight they entail.

Thanks Norm

Quote Originally Posted by Norm in Fujino
    The C-7xx series takes fine photos, but none of the cameras in this range are very good when it comes to high-speed sporting event. They all exhibit some degree of shutter lag, and they all require some time in focusing. To get best results, you'll have to focus beforehand on an object at the desired distance, and then foretell when the horse etc. is going to be at the desired position, and press the shutter enough in advance to get the picture.
    I don't think this is a problem. I'll be able to focus on the jump, and hopefully use burst mode to take several pictures over a couple of seconds.