Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Non-parallel lines in picture...Lens fault or user fault?

Hi,

I got Sony P200 just 2 days back..
    still experimenting with it...

i took a pic in front of a mirror....as u can see the two edges of mirror are not parallel...
    is it my fault or is it LENS or is it the way its supposed to be?

thanks
    kaz.

best bet is that you're tilting your camera slightly so that it's not perfectly perpendicular with the plane of the lines.

The non-parallel, but still straight lines definitely indicate that the sensor plane and that of the mirror are not parallel (in other words, the camera is slightly titled), If the lines were not straight, rather bowed in or out, then you would be seeing an effect caused by the lens itself.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden
    The non-parallel, but still straight lines definitely indicate that the sensor plane and that of the mirror are not parallel (in other words, the camera is slightly titled), If the lines were not straight, rather bowed in or out, then you would be seeing an effect caused by the lens itself.
    Thanks....
    i will try to shoot that again and hopefully i can keep it perpedicular now..

Actually, in the sample picture the lines are both bent (bowed out) and non-parallel.

The bowing is a common optical fault; it is a rectilinear distortion commonly refered to as "barrel distortion" when they bow out, as in this picture, or "pin-cushion distortion" when they bow inward. No lens is perfect, but today's compact zoom lenses with exceptionally wide zoom ranges usually exhibit significant distortion.

The lack of being parallel is the result of the film/sensor not being exactly parallel with the mirror. Where this is a "fault" or not is more of an artistic opinion than a technical fact. It is, though, not the fault of the camera. This problem is why the view cameras traditionally used by architectural photoraphers commonly have levels attached.
    ---
    dwig

Smile Is this better?

Quote Originally Posted by kazaan
    Hi,

I got Sony P200 just 2 days back..
    still experimenting with it...

i took a pic in front of a mirror....as u can see the two edges of mirror are not parallel...
    is it my fault or is it LENS or is it the way its supposed to be?

thanks
    kaz.
    I made the lines more vertical (Photoshop de-skewing), but couldn't totally eliminate the barrel distortion.
    Let a be your umbrella!

Quote Originally Posted by John_Reed
    I made the lines more vertical (Photoshop de-skewing), but couldn't totally eliminate the barrel distortion.

I think you'd better to re-take the picture, not just edit it.