Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Noise Reduction!!!!

Hi everyone! I'm a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ10 user, and though it has pretty good image quality (well, most of the times), I get some quantity of noise especially in dark areas (at its lowest ISO sensitivity). I was thinking of buying a camera that features "noise reduction", but I was wondering if it doesnt screw up the final image quality/sharpness, considering it post processes the taken image inside the camera... or do you think it is better to do some noise reduction work on photoshop, I've been using NoiseNinja and I get relatively good results, when the noise quantity is low, but sometimes it blurs some parts of the pictures, losing detail

Ah, and one last question, If anyone has used both, what software is better, NeatImage or NoiseNinja?

Thanks!

Unless you are really itching to upgrade your camera, I wouldn't bother with getting a new one just for the purpose of noise reduction. Even expensive cameras with noise reduction can still end up with varying degrees of noise depending on your lens ability and your shooting situation and the amount of post processing you do. I'd just continue with the Noise Ninja or another one I use that is free and works pretty well when PS doesn't is called NeatImage. It takes some practice to learn to use it properly (which I've still not entirely mastered), but it's not bad.
    Now, if you really want to upgrade your camera, I'd base your decision on several other factors... not just the noise reduction issue. That's just my two cents.
    My Camera: Minolta Maxxum 7D

Some of my pictures:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v357/gracie328/

NeatImage and another noise-reduction software, NoiseWare (get the "Community Edition" for the freebie), have free versions available for download. So you can try them yourself. Be advised that, in both cases, the free version strips off the EXIF data from the image. But you can at least try them to see what you think.

I would personally opt for a simple 3x3 median filter over either program, especially for relatively mild noise condtions. If you can define the selection kernel yourself, I would define a five-pixel cross (the point under test and the pixels above and below, left and right of that only) instead of using the usual default 9 pixels in the standard 3x3 selection kernel. The median filter will introduce much less blur than any noise reduction algorithm based on a convolution kernel, and is mathematically optimal for removing salt-and-pepper noise.

Median filters are included in just about all image processing software. Be aware that in PhotoShop they ask for the "radius" of the filter. To select a 3x3 kernel, you need to select "1" for the radius. FWIW
    ________
    box vaporizers
    Last edited by tclune; 02-08-2011 at 02:38 PM.

with noiseninja, you can adjust the opacity of a brush and paint back the original pixels to bring back detail to the face and hair, or critical parts. It works very well.

In PS I remove my color noise by making a new layer, noise>median>9-15pixels, then fade to color. The noise is gone. The 20D doesn't suffer from much luminance noise, even at ISO 3200 so the PS job usually gets rid of it all.
    Last edited by TheObiJuan; 10-05-2005 at 03:50 PM.
    US Navy--Hooyah!

Nikon D700/D300|17-35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/2.8, Sigmalux, 80-200 f/2.8, 16 f/2.8 fisheye,

Lots of flashes and Honl gear.

I'm thinking of getting NoiseNinja (the version with batch processing). How would it be combined with the RAW workflow? I pretty much use RSE for all my shots. Can Noise Ninja work with RAW files? Should it be used before or after my editing in RSE?

Thanks,
    Jason