Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which Camera Should I Buy? (Read Before Posting)

Which camera should I buy?

This short questionnaire will help the rest of us make good camera recommendations for you. Please answer each question carefully and succinctly.

The questions marked with a * are the most important.

---------------------------------------------

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you?

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10)

Do you care for manual controls?

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for?

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not?

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos?

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos?

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?

Are there particular models you already have in mind?

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)

-----------------------------------------

PLEASE POST YOUR ANSWERS IN A SEPARATE THREAD.
    Last edited by Rex914; 04-25-2005 at 12:03 AM.

novice9 Guest

Question Which Camera to buy?

Budget
    ======

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

+/- $300

SIZE:
    ====

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? Compact point-and-shoot

Features
    ========

How many megapixels will suffice for you? Between 3 and 5 MP

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) Standard / can't really decide.

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 8

Do you care for manual controls? Unknown

General Usage
    =============

* What will you generally use the camera for? Kids pictures (inside the house mostly) and vacation pictures.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? very rarely.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? No

Miscellaneous
    =============

Are there particular brands you like or hate? Like Canon, Nikon and Fuji.

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Thinking about Canon A95 or Canon A510

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) - Not really, but will be good if I can have them.

Please make your inquiries in a separate thread. Thanks!

Help

Budget

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. around $400.00

Size

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? I want an ultra compact- go anywhere camera

Features

How many megapixels will suffice for you?at least 5

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x) 4x, but will go with 3x

* How important is “image quality” to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) 8

Do you care for manual controls? not really

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Take it everywhere, it will be for vacations, family, everything

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? 8x10 tops but want room for cropping

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? Yes I want t obe ready for anything

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? yes

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate? not nikon

Are there particular models you already have in mind?not really

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) Big LCD, lots of pre programmed scene modes

connerboys Guest

Confused about digital camera purchase!!

Budget

Less than $1000

Size

Size isn't an issue
    Features

At least 5mp

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    Standard at the least, ultrazoom would be better.

8-10

yes, but some auto would be fine

General Usage

Kids, sports/action, some still pics, vacation/travel

maybe

yes

YES Definitely!!!!

Miscellaneous

Are there particular brands you like or hate?
    Have used Sony Mavica cd400. Like the look of Nikon, Konica Minolta also

Have looked at KM A-2 & A-200 , Nikon 8700 or 8800 and Sony CD500 or DSC-H1

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD)
    Image stabilization would be nice with the zoom.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex914
    Please make your inquiries in a separate thread. Thanks!
    Please do not reply to this thread, otherwise Jeff will have to close it (and then I won't be able to modify the survey in the future).

Phonix, AZ ... beautiful desert southwest

Need advice

Budget

I have up to two thousand dollars, but after that, my gut gets queazy at the idea of spending much more. (but I could) This 2K hopefully includes extras like a good all purpose lens.. (what is standard these days?)
    In addition I'd like to find a deal on an extra lens, or at least the necessary basic filters and battery charger, bag, extra battery and a software package is always nice. I have a flash card reader directly in my computer already. I own a tripod.

Size

I used a 35mm through the years, and then a Kodak 4800 digital. For my next camera I want something with a good protective body.. that feels substantial in my hands.

Features
    How many megapixels will suffice for you? I think I'm going to need a lot (8 or so) since I am getting an Epson 24'' roll feed professional printer (model 7600)

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x)
    I am thinking but I could use some advice here too. I am good at filling the frame - but I like using a zoom. Standard zoom is what I have on my 4800 and that suits me well.
    * How important is “image quality” to you? The best I can get for my dollar. 8 or higher.

Do you care for manual controls? I know how to use them, but I am not married to writing paragraphs about how complex a shot I made. Sure I want to be able to f-stop myself out of too much backround... or shutter speed to catch the dog as she grabs the frisbee.
    General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? I'll be doing wall art, black and white and color. I think the operative word is big. I live near some of the most beautiful land in the country.. Sonoran desert - national parks - state parks, and a lot of sunshine, and effective moonlight too. I also like doing portraits of the dogs, or a model and then using Adobe to give art-like renderings to the images.

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Yes - I am buying the Epson 7600 printer ... in fact I'd get the 9600 (42'' width by whatever) but I don't think my camera budget will be enough to support a cameral that will make quality blow up photos that big.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? I take both indoor and outdoor. I like natural light when possible - even at night and use a flash for compensation... or floods perhaps for 'interest'.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? I'm more concerned with the wind moving my subject material. But I do enjoy shooting my dogs too. I hate the shutter delay I have experienced on the earlier digitals. I tested a Sony three years ago, and took a shot at the dog as she was walking toward me... I ended up getting her rump as she was walking AWAY... (hopefully this is improved)

Miscellaneous I took 35mm in college (Barry Manilow was young the... )
    Still - I'm brushing up .... and have used my old 35mm Fugica as recently as 5 years ago.. Then digital grabbed me. Thus the idea of digital 35mm has my attention.
    I am self taught on the Adobe Photo Shop (old version number 2 and a limited version 5) and do a lot with the offered tools - I'm good at it actually. I have an aptitude and a love for working the shot once I have it on my computer. Hours can pass... I now want to be able to print quality at a poster size print.
    Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? I have read about the Canon Rebel, the Canon EOS 20D? and The Olympus 300 Evolt. It was the extras I needed to purchase that stunned me.

I was hoping for suggestions about that. I don't need Weatherproof, nor a hot shoe if there is a built in flash on the camera. I tend to decide what I want to photograph pretty quickly.. then I fill the frame and shoot a couple. After that I'll settle in and try some creative adjusting.

So - please let me know if I'm in the right ballpark, or what would work for me.
    I do wonder if there are non 35mm cameras as well that are 8 megs or higher, but I do know my way around the 35.

Thanks, Magic

Angry

POST QUESTIONS IN A SEPERATE THREAD

Help on which camera to buy

Which camera should I buy?

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera?
    around $500

size is not an issue

Features

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify)
    standard

yes, but with optional full auto controls

General Usage

my kid, my family, travel, auto sports

ocasionally, yes

yes

yes, ocasionally

Miscellaneous

Been looking at canon G6, canon S70 and panasonic DMC-FZ5

Red face It was a great idea, Rex!

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock
    POST QUESTIONS IN A SEPERATE THREAD
    The best-laid plans of mice and men...
    Let a be your umbrella!