Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Canon Wide Angle Lens?

I have been looking at getting a wide angle lens for my new 60D, knowing that I have a crop factor of 1.5 - 1.6 (depending who you talk to), I'm looking for a good all-round Degree of angle at this crop factor, most of the shots I do are of small streams, waterfalls and I'm trying to capture more of the surrounding landscape. I would also like to be able to use it indoors for group family photos.
    The two lenses I have been looking at are Canon's EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM and Canon's EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM.
    and is the L lens better than a non L, I know it's better glass but is it worth the extra $$$
    Any Info would be appreciated.

I'm replying to a 2-month's old thread, so I'm not sure if it is still valid.

I have used Tokina's 11-16, Canon's EF-S 10-22 and 16-35 as well as 17-40. For your 60D, 24-70 would be a tad too long for landscape shots, as well as family shots indoors. I would recommend the 17-40 F/4 L.

Why?
    It is wide enough for landscape shots.
    It can be zoomed in for group shots as well.
    And the constant F/4 is not so bad for indoor pictures, and you're bound to use F/5.6 or more for waterfall shots anyway.

Just my 2c.