Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Sony Nex, DMC-G series or something else?

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a new camera topping out at $600. I'm drawn to the micro 4/3 cameras as they seem to offer DSLR quality in a smaller package, which I like. I also like the flexiblity. So far the cameras that have caught my eye, via reviews, are the panasonic lumix G series (GF1-3, G3, etc) and the Sony Nex series. Between the new and used markets I have a huge variety to choose from in my price range with just those two manufacturers and series. I would qualify myself as an amature who takes the time to learn how to use his toys and will spend enough time using them to get good results with them. The things that are important to me and that I want from the camera are as follows:

good low light performance

good AF performance

size: Something between a point and shoot and your average DSLR

ease of use: good out of box results that will only improve as I do.

1080 video: having something that can double as a video camera and give good results is a nice option

bang for the buck

Given the above, what recommendations would you make? I'm open to something other than the panasonic and sony's as well. Those are just the ones that have jumped out at me so far. There are so many options out there, it's a little overwhelming.

THanks!

What are your focal length requirements? Would you prefer a fixed focal length lens that's good in low light or a zoom lens that's not as good in low light?
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Thanks for the reply. Most of the kits I've looked at up to this point seem to be zoom lenses. I'm probably more interested in versatility than pure low-light performance at this point in time.

I'd go with the Panasonic 14-45 lens. It has image stabilization so that should help with stationary low light subjects, but not much with portraits in low light. As far as the camera body, that has a lot to do with how it feels in your hands so only you can decide what's right there. If you're looking for a smaller body the GF2 would be a good option used. I have the GF1 paired with the 20/1.7 lens. I like it a lot. You should also consider Olympus. They offer in body image stabilization so you won't need to look for it in each lens. Originally the auto focus wasn't great on their m43 cameras, but I remember reading about them improving it. Might be something to look into.
    Lukas

Camera: Anonymous
    I could tell you but I wouldn't want you to get all pissy if it's the wrong brand

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by jonssmith1 View Post
    Of course, there's quite the pro feel to its price tag, too: you'll have to shell out $1,350 to get the NEX-7 plus a kit lens.
    If the budget is $600, perhaps the Sony NEX C3 would work if you choose the Sony NEX path:
    http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...umber=NEXC3K/B
    Almost certainly stores will have a lower price than the Sony website.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr