Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Telephoto Lens for A65

As noted on this thread (http://www.dcresource.com/forums/sho...e-A77-vs-NEX-7) I am currently deciding between the NEX-7 and A77. Previously I was leaning toward the NEX-7, but GPS might swing me towards the A77.

If I go with the NEX-7, I would initially go with a 18-200mm telephoto lens, and perhaps add a wide angle lens later on.

One of the advantage of the A77 is meant to be the wider range of natively supported lens. My question is, which lens is most comparable to the 18-200mm lens for the NEX-7?
    Last edited by TooNice; 06-02-2012 at 08:54 AM.

Lightbulb Possible lens options (18-200mm type lens)

We should be clear that while 18-200(250,270) range lens has telephoto capability, it is not truly considered a telephoto lens. It is a "super zoom" lens, incorporating wide-angle, normal and telephoto ranges. A standard "telephoto zoom" lens would normally start at 70mm and would extend to 200mm, 300mm or 400mm, with a minimal focal length change due to focusing distance. This an important consideration, if you need "true" 200, 300 or 400mm focal length performance from the lens @ 5-20 feet.

An advantage that truly belongs to the "modern" design of 18-200(250,270) class of lens (from 2004 on) is its ability to focus at 18-inches (0.5 m) (Minimum Focus Distance). A TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD has an M.F.D. of 37.5 inches (0.95 m). The average 70-200mm, 70-300mm and 70-400mm lens have an M.F.D. of 60-inches (1.5 m) (You simply cannot get a closer focus without some kind of special add-on optical filter).

That being said:

For the A77, which is takes an A-mount lens (which means it is full autofocus available without any need for an adapter, unlike the NEX), a solid choice, for the past several years, has been the TAMRON AF 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD. The lens is a very good version of the 18-200 series... offers a six-year warranty and delivers excellent results for this type of lens at a very reasonable cost.

If you have more money spend, you could opt for the SONY brand of this lens... and if you are really ready to pop some cash, you might find the SONY-mount of the TAMRON 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD, which is smaller and has the Piezo-electric motor drive. This is a "top drawer" lens and you will pay for this development, where the earlier versions will save money, but are a bit larger, heavier and slower to focus.

That's the options. Good luck with your new lens.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-01-2011 at 11:41 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Thank you! I think that this is the tie breaker that is going to shift me towards the A-77. I was afraid of looking up the price of the TAMRON 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD but it is actually cheaper than the SEL-18200 for the NEX-7, and with the current rebate, make it similarly priced to the Sony brand of the lens.

Can I inject a note of caution and maybe a sour note or two.
    The lens in question is, understandably, not cheap but it effectively turns your expensive A77 into a P&S camera.
    I'm not saying the lens is all bad but any superzoom compromises quality in pursuit of functionality.
    That makes it decent for an all purpose holiday snapper and frees you from changing the lens (a bad thing on the beach).
    On holiday, you tend to get plenty of sunshine giving you the opportunity to use the lens at it's best apertures for sharpness f/8 to f/11.
    But that's it! In poor light and wide open the lens is not so sharp and you lose control of DOF due to the small min aperture.
    If you intend to do anything indoors you're going to need a decent flash/diffuser setup to get anything like acceptable results.
    I'm saying this as I assume that anyone considering the NEX-7/A77 cameras is looking for something a bit better than a P&S or Bridge camera.
    In my experience buying something that gives noticeably inferior performance leads to dissatisfaction and more purchases later.

I was wondering why you would get the 18-270 when the A77 already comes with a small lens why not just go for the new 70-300 which is a very nice lens but make sure you get the tamron 70-300mm sp. the others are junk or if you have the money go with the sony G lenes. By the way i have not noticed unless i missed it what are you wanting to shoot wild life or soccer games?

Examining beyond the original question...

Experience has shown that the best plan is to cough up the serious coin and get yourself at least two seriously good zooms for your DSLR/SLT, maybe three. The original posting was an inquiry for the 18-200 "range' lens... which we addressed and suggested the current model, the 18-270 Piezo, which is the best, of course, in that range, Peter.

The choices really were not set up as a debate on whether other range sets would work better, if you broke up the superlens. Of course, that is the better solution and significantly more.

For the APS-C SONY mount, you could investigate:
    1) TAMRON's SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF)
    2) SONY's new 16-50mm f/2.8 DT

for the wider stuff and match it up to a:
    1) TAMRON SP AF 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF)
    2) SIGMA 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG APO OS HSM
    3) SONY 70-200mm f/2.8 APO G(D) SSM

to get the upper end.

But if you want some outdoor reach and your not worried about spending a little more... the SONY 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM is the ultimate answer. Nothing listed will disappoint, but just be prepared for a bit of an outlay. It'll be worth it, because your shots will not suffer from stretching these lenses. You'll be covered from zoom to the tomb.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 12-30-2011 at 11:33 PM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I agree with you Don you could never go wrong with the sony G 70-400mm If you have the money to spend . You rarely see these for sale used because no one wants to give them up very nice lens.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

Referring to an earlier thread, much of the use will be outdoor (landscape, street photography). There may be in door shots such as museums and other "tourist attractions" (e.g. NY Central Station).

My budget is.. finite, so I do not think that I can really afford two lenses end even with a lower end body (I am considering going down to an A65 as it is). Weight might also be an issue if I am going to hike for 10+ hours as I often do on holiday.

I suppose that I could get the TAMRON's SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) instead (they are the similar weight and price), but I wonder if I might miss the zoom more than a faster lens.

I should note that this will be my first DSLR. I've been using the Fuji F31fd for the last few years, and I have found myself wishing for longer zoom at time (it's a 3x zoom). Whether I really need the 15x offered by the 18-270 is questionable, but I guess having the whole range as my first lens would enable me to know what kind of range I really need based on my shooting habits.

This is how I see it, but feel free to point out flaws with my logic

A reasonable approach...

Look,

if you are not sure what range you operate in, the TAMRON 18-270mm Di II PZD is a terrific option

Name:  pic_b008_01.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  52.5 KB

and with the way this lens works, today (versus the older versions), it should deliver decent enough shots. It is also a bit smaller than the earlier models.

Again, as your "tastes" become more definite, invest in the lens that covers the tighter focal length that you find yourself using. You should be able to sell the 18-270 w/o much difficulty... or just keep it as the convenient "travel lens." The beauty of this system is that the lenses are truly interchangeable. Unlike the P&S cameras with their "welded on lens"... the DSLR/DSLT camera ensures you are not stuck with... well, anything... except the mount.

Most of all, just have fun with your photography. A lot of pictures only happen ONCE... so give them the best you've got.

Good luck.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 01-19-2012 at 08:22 AM.

flickr & Sdi

I am new to the forum but I will add some thoughts. I have a 5n and a a65. Most of my shooting is off the beaten path on a motorcycle. Space is a premium and in my case a bag full of lens would not work. A good prime on the 5n makes a nice small package. I tried the big 200 Sony and found it was too unbalanced on a small body. The 65 is set up with a prime and a couple old Minolta beer cans I have had for years that work well. the ding I like about the cameras are the fast fore rate if needed, focus lock and object tracking. The flip up LCD screen on the NEX is sweet for "stealth" shots from your lap Bottom line is your budget and what type of shooting you plan to do , IMO.