Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Replace failing Maxxum 5D with Sony a580 + use existing lenses ?

Camera Type

Mid-range DSLR

Specifically, I have a Minolta Maxxum 5D that has been repaired once, but is intermittently failing again. I need to replace it, and my question is, does it make sense to go with a Sony a580 (or perhaps some other Sony?) so I can use my existing lenses (mainly a Sigma DC 18-200 1:3.5-6.3) on the a580. Will that lens work well on the a580, or is this false economy ?

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Obviously I would like to only have to buy the a580 body, but if I have to buy a camera and lens, I would be looking to stay around the $1200 range.

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? Only what's absolutely necessary, would like to be able to use the SD cards I have for the Maxxum in the new camera.

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera? Until it stops working.

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for? I'm not a professional, but I enjoy shooting landscape/cityscape, night scenes, indoor/low light

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away? Probably not often, so not a major consideration.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos? Yes

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well? Not larger than 8x10

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera? A little post processing is OK, but would like to keep it to a minimum.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you? A good general purpose zoom, like the Sigma I currently use. I want an optical viewfinder, not just an LCD screen.

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind? Sony, Canon, Nikon.

RAW or JPG? My view is that Sony is Ok for RAW work, but as a JPG shooter I'd lean more toward Canon or Nikon. The A580 is one of Sony's nicer designs, both physically and for control layout. Somewhat more streamlined than Canon or Nikon, which can be an asset for manual work. With such emphasis on their new SLT series, it's not clear whether Sony will continue with conventional designs like the A580.

Kelly Cook
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs