Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Canon PowerShot SX130 IS vs. Nikon L120 vs. Canon EOS 1000D VS Nikon D3000

Camera Type

� Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet � that's okay!) I am not sure. I want a significant upgrade from Canon Powershot A510.

� Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital? I own a Canon Powershot A510. This would be my second digital camera.

� Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible? Though it is "just" a point and shoot, on my Canon I got addicted to TV setting, sometimes I use AV, too. Setting the level of flash is also an option, so yes, I would like some amount of manual control. I do not trust the thinking of the camera.

� If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "�") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all? I want the best image quality available for my money. 4-5x optical zoom is all I need.

� What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    Size is not an issue. IF it's P&S, I put the camera in my pocket, if it's a DSLR, I use its huge bag to hold other personal stuff, too (phone, wallet, keys).

Budget

� What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    $300-$500. If I get a good deal on Ebay, I might consider buying a used camera (DSLR).

� Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    Nope. I will get the camera as it is within a couple of weeks, and I am not planning on investing in it for at least 3-4 more years. So getting a DSLR now with kit lens and buying a Tamron 70-200 lens 1 year later is out of the question, unfortunately.

� How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    3-10 years.

Usage

� What will you generally use the camera for?
    Taking photos of people, faces, buildings, night-shots with long exposure, nature, abstract things (about everything from a rusty chain to an ashtray if I find it interesting), animals with macro (like a butterfly, lizard, etc), concerts on festivals.

� Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    Perhaps, but not planning to.

� Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    Possibly, yes. If night-shots are considered low-light then definitely!

� Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 5�7") or medium sized (8�10"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    Small to medium sized printed photos (family, semi-professional graduation photos perhaps) but I do not plan to get my pics printed to building-size.

� Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    Both. I am definitely interested in photo-manipulation via Photoshop. Nevertheless, I want my pictures to be perfect in original format. I will not compromise by correcting grainyness or chromatic abberation on my computer.

Miscellaneous

� Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    Time value and Aperture value semi-manual settings are a must. Video would be useful sometimes, but I don't have to budget to buy canon eos 1100d instead of the 1000d.

� Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
    Nikon L120
    Canon EOS 1000D (Rebel XS)
    Nikon D3000
    Fujifilms are out of the question. They make the October grass look like the photo was taken in June, the brown leaves look orange. Too vivid colors. Not for my taste.

I know this should be my decision, and it WILL BE eventually. I just want to see a couple of opinions. Thanks in advance.
    Have a nice day, all of you!

I want my pictures to be perfect in original format. I will not compromise by correcting grainyness or chromatic abberation on my computer.
    That will drive the selection toward a DSLR with extra expensive lens. Of the cameras on your list, the Nikon D3000 comes the closest to meeting this. But its kit lens is only 3X zoom. Higher zoom lenses do introduce some slight aberrations, if you need perfection.

Kelly Cook
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

With a budget of $300-500 you are going to be hard pressed to find anything that really meets all your needs. I'd skip cameras like the SX130 and L120 and concentrate instead on the Canon S95, Canon G12, or Panasonic LX5. You said you don't need a lot of zoom, why look at cameras with big zoom lenses that naturally will have to compromise image quality?

Expecting images to come out of the camera perfect is a nice goal, but pretty unreasonable at this price range. Full manual controls will allow you the best results, but IMO it is unreasonable to think you won't have to do some post-processing if your standards are high.

Hello.

Thanks to both of you for your ideas. I know I am asking much from a camera worth $300-500. I was rather talking about "perfect pictures" at this price-level. Not the best that's possible with today's technology but the best that's possible with $300-500.
    I Checked the Canon S95 and it's more expensive than the canon eos1000d. The G12 is more expensive than the 1100D.
    I was looking at the L120 because...it looks good. The build of the camera. But I just realized it doesn't have TV and AV settings, so that is out of the competition.
    If EOS1000D (RebelSX) and D3000 remain, I am not sure which is worse, the lack of Image Stabilizer in the kit-lens (european version) or the lack of Live View in Nikon...
    I will keep measuring the importance of these...
    Thanks again for your advices.

Take care.
    Szilard

Keep in mind that both IS and LiveView have limited applications. IS is beneficial only when you want to shoot with shutter speeds under 1/50 second or so. For most of us that is rather rare. LiveView is beneficial mostly for macros and for indoors on a tripod. Again, not everybody does a lot of shooting under those circumstances. In my view the EOS 1000D is a more dated design than the D3000. A better Canon fit against the D3000 would be the EOS 450D (Rebel XSi). To me the differences between Canon and Nikon in their control layouts and feel are more significant than the differences in features. Both have lots of fans.

Kelly

I think Nikon D3000 is very nice with a price of about $ 400. Nikon D3000 has a thumb dial, which you will use most of the time to change shutter speed and aperture. There are mode dial on the top of the camera. Several basic buttons such as playback, delete, menu, magnifiy/zoom, and exposure compensation. There is also a function (Fn) button on the left side, near the flash that you can customize according to your need. In short, Nikon D3000 is a solid camera for beginner that is simple, fun, and has great image quality. It is definitely worth your money.

Fitri
    Last edited by fitriulina; 06-28-2011 at 05:00 PM.

Hmm...seems the rebel sx is losing the race for D3000. There's still 1 more month till I will be able to buy it, and I will keep reading about the kit lenses of these 2. Thanks for your help so far. Indeed I just realized (with your help), that I do not use my small canon with smaller shutter speed than 1/100, except with tripod, so IS shouldn't be a problem. All I have to do now is convince myself that I won't use liveview anyway, the Nikon kit-lens is at least as good as the canon kit lens, and I will make Nikon Inc. richer with $400 :P.

As much as I like my Canon, I'd have to agree that the price you found puts it at a serious disadvantage.

Kelly
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

The new Olympus models such as XZ-1, E-PL1 and E-PL2 are probably in your price range and are generally regarded as having the best unedited jpegs available. My own eyes agree with that assessment.

See here:
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusepl2/page13.asp
    Last edited by raven15; 06-30-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks for the suggestion raven15. As all my friends have either canon or nikon, I would like to stick to these 2 brands. Should I need a filter once in a while, I can always borrow one. And besides this, they can help me out with 1 or 2 ideas, as they know their cameras and brand.
    There's a new update regarding my first DSLR camera. I decided to raise the budget. I took a Nikon D3100 in my hands today. It was surprisingly small Didn't have the chance to take any shots with it though. I checked it on Snapsort.com, compared it with the D3000. Can you tell me how bad is having only 1 cross-type focus point (whatever that would mean) vs. 9 focus points in the D3000? I don't understand if the D3100 is an upgrade of D3000 why does the newer version have even a single disadvantage?