Camera Type

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet that's okay!)

Leaning mirrorless, but will consider dSLR.

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?

No, but first that is not point & shoot.

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?

I'd like a high level of control. But inclusion of smart auto-mode is a plus.

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?

I am interested in telephoto lens.

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?

I like the idea of a smaller camera, but I may be willing to compromise (will cover when I expand on the cameras I have in mind later).

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

Up to around $2000 with lens including basic accessories (bag, memory card.. even better if I could fit a tripod in the budget).

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)

See above.

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?

At least 3 years would be nice.

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?

Travel (landscape, building, people) and street photography.

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?

Not really, unless you count niece/nephew running/playing in the park

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?

I'd like it usable for concerts and catwalk but.. this it will be used for those purpose only maybe 3-5 times per year.

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?

Primarily view/share on a computer screen. If I make prints it would typically be small or medium.

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?

I would prefer using the image basically straight from the camera.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?

- I'd like a telephoto lens (14-140 / 18-200) to begin with.
- GPS would be nice to have.
- HDR would also be nice to have.

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?

Previously I was very interested in the Panasonic GH2. But I am now leaning towards the Sony NEX-7 and Sony Alpha A77. Points I am weighing now:

1. I like the idea of a smaller body but I am not sure if it's such a big deal.. or even a disadvantage on the smaller body of the NEX-7.
2. In terms of features, the A77 has a few things over the NEX-7 that I like (GPS, more flexibility with the LCD adjustment, better battery life), is potentially useful (weather sealing) and something I do not understand the implications (differences about the AF). Does the NEX-7 have any feature over the A77 other than the size (for instance, does the Anti-Motion Blur and all the scene mode exist in the A77 too?)?
3. My biggest concern about the A77 is probably what is said about the IQ compared NEX7 here: http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/is-th...ity-of-the-a77