Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thumbs down The a900 production ends?

Well... it is hard to conceive SONY would discontinue the α900, leaving themselves with only the trouble-plagued α77-SLT at the top of the heap. Yes, version 1.03 may have solved some issues, but still... removing the last "old reliable" OVF-DSLR seems truly counter-intuitive. A lot people are looking to migrate their FF lenses to a FF body... not the substitute APS-C. Leaving the populous, who are invested in the higher-end lenses to this alternative... man, IMO, that's not good.

Admittedly, my α700 gets relatively little use, even as a backup. Migrating lenses from it to the α77 works, of course... but again, for me its Full Frame or forget it.

I would have appreciated discontinuing the a900 when they get closer to its replacement, unlike the faux pas they did with the α700... trying to make up ground by promoting the α580 as a suitable substitute. I'm telling you, with the rather unique "remote" capability gone, it is a lesser camera, no matter how good the sensor may be. That "feature" has yet to be properly replaced ANYWHERE in the SONY line-up.

Admittedly, it is just one man's opinion... but hey, I count too! As far as I am concerned, they have a lot of extra work to do before releasing the a99. It should NOT be just an over-sized a77.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 11-18-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Guess i better buy a spare soon

This is a real bummer. Sony's actions sometimes leaves me with the feeling of the confused RCA dog. Discontinuation without a successor full frame model in place or at least announced??? The more Sony continues in this vein, the more I question whether I should jump off the Sony ship for Nikon or Cannon before investing much more in Sony compatible glass.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

lol it's only confusing for you guys cos you won't accept the truth. Sony are not in this game for the top end. They are a mass producing consumer electronics company and will make decisions accordingly. Given the runaway success of mirrorless, they could very conceivably cease production of all dslr's and compatible accessories tomorrow and not bat an eyelid.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr