Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Macro tube and ring light question

I have decided to buy some macro tubes and a wondering if it is worth getting the tubes that have electrical contacts over the ones that do not? I suppose it depends partialy how much light is getting to the sensor or else the autofocus will not work anyway?
    This brings me onto a ring light; for macro work I assume its good to have a light on all the time to focus etc. but if you are using the ring light for other things like photographing people a flash ring light is better?

Any opinions on the above would be interesting.

For most macro stuff you will want to focus manually so whether the tubes have electrical contacts or not is probably not of major concern.
    The people I know who use ring lights for macro use flash style ring lights (Metz or Nikon or Canon)

Thanks for the reply K1W1 - I have asked santa for the macro tubes and a ring light that is also a flash. I am not sure exactly what I need and so am not spending a lot to see how things go.

I have found a lot of different ways to do things since I posted this; for instance instead of puttng the camera on a focusing rail put the sample on a focusing stage instead.

If you are really serious about macro a focussing rail is a good idea but at that stage you will also be wanting to buy a $1000 tripod to get the stability that you crave so I personally wouldn't be bothering with one at this stage.