Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Upgrade D60 to D5100???

I just wanted to get some thoughts on upgrading my D60 to the D5100. Would it be worth it? I like my D60...i am not a huge photographer...I take pictures mainly of my children and also at their sporting events. Is the picture quality a lot better? I would love to have that lcd screen...which of coarse my D60 doesn't have but I don't want to base my decision on that. Any thoughts/comments to help me make an informative decision would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I did go up from the D40 to the D5100, it is a huge improvement. Blown highlights do not regularly occur like in the D40, huge improvement at ISO 800 and above. Does movies too, but I haven't tested that out yet as I need to get a new memory card.

If one was a "huge photographer" as you put it, the D7000 would be the minimum to get; even so, a few people have taken thousands of pictures with lower end models in the past like the D40 or your D60.

If you are doing indoor sports photos of your kids, then there would be a lot of hit-and-miss shots, with likely a majority of misses. But I would only need to have a few good pictures out of a lot of shots for me to be happy. If one needed to make every picture count for indoor sports, then yes higher end equipment would be needed.
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

Sounds to me that you wouldn't really get much benefit. I'd keep the money in the bank or buy a better lens for the indoor sports shots..

jmhv - Listen to K1W1 and take your money and buy a good lens or two. I cheap great lens is the 35mm f/1.8 and then look at possibly the 16-85mm or getting a 70-300mm zoom. When it is time to "upgrade" you will know it by wanting more from you digital camera than just a better LCD. I still grab my D40 a lot when shooting even though the D90 si a much better camera. The D60 will do fine for you as you grow your ability with better lenses. What kind of sports are you shooting? I shoot a lot of kids football with the D40 and my 55-200mm lens and it does fine so I believe your D60 will do the trick...
    Nikon D90 & D5100
    Nikon 18-105 VR
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 55-200 VR
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    f/8 and be there...
    My Flickr

Thanks for the response...I appreciate everyones feedback. It really helps me when I can get advice from more experienced photographers when it comes to make a new camera purchase.
    AMDnut~I shoot football right now but basketball is not far off

The d5100 uses the same sensor as the D7000. For sports photography needs, are we limiting the d5100 based on the no. of frames per second in burst shooting (4) vs the higher end models? Although outdated <per say>, how many fps does the d60 shoot?
    What are the main contributing factors to recommend keeping the d60 and getting better lenses (which is always a good idea anyway) but staying away from the d5100? Thank you.
    You took a photo of what?

Waiting to purchase a new camera.

The D5100 would be a fine choice, but from the sounds of his current photography needs, lenses would be a better choice. I found that getting better lenses for my D40 in the beginning was the best thing for me to learn more about photography. Sure, my D90 was a great "step up" but shooting with the D40 makes me really think about ISO, Aperture, Shutter Speeds, and Exposure to get some of the shots I want. After shooting with a variety of lenses, you will start to see what you really want / need out of a camera body upgrade.... at least it did for me.
    Nikon D90 & D5100
    Nikon 18-105 VR
    Nikon 35mm f/1.8
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 55-200 VR
    Nikon 70-300 VR
    f/8 and be there...
    My Flickr