Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible Hardware or Firmware issues with the A77!!!!

I found this on another site. I did not check out all the links. Take it for what it is worth.

Frank

I was thinking hard and long before posting this as I don't want to kill any enthusiasm that has developped on this forum re the A77.
    Apparently the current batch of A77s has/can/might develop some issues that have to be solved by Sony. So if I were in your position I might want to hold back with running out and ordering one as you might end up having to return it or wait for a bug fix.

Now please take note I said "might"! The strange thing is that these bugs did NOT happen when reviewers reviewed the A77!

Here are some links that are off some concern:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-a...7-bug-reports/

It sounds like Sony will have two cameras to fix, the Sony NEX-5n and now the Sony A77 too!

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/my-new-a...opic80040.html

...suddenly the camera stopped working properly...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39427594

Many people from Taiwan and Hong Kong, has reported that the Firmware V1.02 contains lots of Bugs.

Taiwan:

http://translate.google.com/...opicd...361119%26p%3D1

Hong Kong:

http://translate.google.com/...hread...a%3Dpage%253D1

Summary:

1, All the AF point disappear suddenly, and could not switch off the camera and could not change some of the setting within the menu.
    Image control:Zoom outZoom 100%Zoom inExpand AllOpen in new window

2,The camera hang suddenly and you have to remove battery and restart the camera.

3,A few people has put a Sigma lens on the camera and all the focus point loss forever.
    No more AF for any lens(include Sony's), and need to return to CS to fix it.

4,It needs more than 10sec to turn off the camera.
    Sometimes you turned off the camera, but it is still working,
    the battery drop from 9x% -> 9% after a few hours.

5, The orientation of the menu does not show correctly.

6,The Aperture & Shutter setting malfunction suddenly, need to remove battery and restart the camera.

7,The position of the electronic level shift to the top part of the LCD. Need to restart the camera to back to normal position.

8,The camera hang during shooting in high speed mode .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvN13V-mb1g
    -> faulty A77

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=39432671

Well what happened is I was playing with my new toy when suddenly it stopped working, then I switched it on and since then I'm able to see only black screen or go to the menu, where I can't change anything. Tried everything, taking off battery, connecting to pc ( couldn't do even that)

And there are many more

So far nobody seems to be sure whether this is a hardware problem or a firmware issue!

Please I really do not want to kill your enthusiasm and as said, some people do NOT have these problems, but you might want to check!
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Red face I have read the same...

or similar things, also. I did not want to make an issue of it, until something definitive was released.

Frank, according to Carl Garrard, over at AlphaMountWorld, the α580 is still a top of the class camera, so you would not be hurting to wait this one out for a bit.

The α77, although rather amazing in what it offers, is still at a prototype-level, in its own right. The translucent-mirror, high-speed shooting rate and movie-mode make it a complex unit, overall. I felt that SONY was rushing to get it out there, first, by the sounds of things written. The fact that there are two cameras (α65 & α77), extremely similar, sounds like there were two teams involved in the development of the new camera. I suppose that each one came up with its own design, based on the same sensor. SONY Marketing saw the possibility of a spread market in the 7xx range and, voila, we have two variants.

Despite this apparent problem being sighted, we had a discussion, today, about people buying cameras for use as pro-level photographers, at the school. The argument (or question) was:

WHY would anyone buy an APS-C camera if they were serious about growing their photography?

There are Full Frame cameras available from nearly every major manufacturer, now. Full Frame glass is typically much better than "APS-C only" lenses and have no drawbacks on which kind of sensor you put them on. If you are going to pursue a degree in photography, your choice should be "investing" in Full Frame right at the beginning and forget APS-C, for the most part. Of course, arguments abound, but this came from other students and led to some hilarious moments.

Again, I am simply reporting the discussion and although I thoroughly agree with its inherent logic, my suggestion would be to WAIT out the α77 and lean more toward acquiring the Full Frame SLT/DSLR camera due out next year. That is my own plan, to be honest. Dropping $1500-2000 for something I would be replacing in less than a year sounds... well, you know how that sounds. I also suspect that it should have a much better firmware developed from whatever they learn from this current α77 experience.

Again, it is what it is.

I'm just sayin'
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-26-2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

The whole affair shrieks 'hardware failure' and is pretty worrying.
    Mine's alive so far although there are a couple of niggles.
    The response to functional changes shows a slight lag, not long but noticeable and not present, so I'm told on the NEX-5.
    Battery life seems not so good as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    WHY would anyone buy an APS-C camera if they were serious about growing their photography?
    one has nothing to do with the other.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

There seems to be no sense...

starting off with nonsense.

If you are in for the penny... jump in for the pound. Buying interim equipment, in this "difficult" time just does not get it done. People do not take you seriously unless you show up at the event with a "Full Frame" camera. It is deeply competitive and impression is half the battle.

As always, spend as you wish.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

You sure did start off with nonsense; you finished with it too.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Full Frame Full Frame, he's our man...

Look, we all know the advantage of Full Frame over a smaller sensor. The argument seems silly. Wait, let me check, again...

("Jeopardy" theme plays)

Yep... still appears silly. If you insist on using an APS-C as your solution, your billboard postings may suffer.

NEX is a perfect example... of where it might be useful, where a smaller size has a serious attribute. But, in a standard DSLR... bigger area is the name of the game, which leads me into Medium format -> doggone heavy camera. Again, the argument exists whether I play this game or not. I did not invent the problem, but I would like to see it gone.

Honestly, with the α77 getting a little snaky... SONY better get in front of this and quick. Pulling a Canon EOS 1D MkIV focusing debacle on it would not be all that clever, as I seem to recall.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-27-2011 at 10:56 AM.

flickr & Sdi

yes we know the advantages but that does NOT preclude someone serious about photography from shooting apsc or 4/3. we know the advantages of a d3s over anything else, doesnt mean that anything under a d3s is crap. billboard size ? bah...hilarious. they are using MF for that size Don. and guess what ? to use your preposterous anaology, show up with a sony camera to a pro event and you will be far more likely to get laughed at that if yoiu turned up with a 7d.

anyway...nothing like taking it to extremes to prove how ridiculous you're points are. i dont need to argue, you do a good enuf job shooting your own arguments down. as you were gentlemen...
    flickr

I've just copied this from the sonyalpharumours site

"An anonymous source just sent me this: “I have learned that the production Alpha a77 has a revised set of new Bionz processors but the Firmware updates were for the older processors. Someone messed up and may have forgotten to have the firmware people test with the new processor. There will be a major update to the firmware as soon as full testing is completed. This is going to delay US and Canada Distribution. The current Firmware was never test on the newer processors that is in the production cameras. So there will be major corrections are needed in the firmware before its released again.”

If the “rumor” is correct than this is an embarassing news for Sony but also good news for us because it means that the firmware updgrade will hopefully fix all current issues. Reminder: The rumor hasn’t been confirmed by official sources so as usual take it with a grain of salt!

P.S.: Yesterday I told you that Sony UK stopped the A77 sales. Another reader wrote me: “popped into my local Jessops (Hedge End, UK)and asked when they expected to get A77. they checked on system and said that there were none at “head office” and they were expecting stock on 25th October.” ".

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/

It could explain the issue maybe?

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Thumbs up Our man, Carl...

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie1263 View Post
    It could explain the issue maybe?
    Our man, Carl Garrard, over at Alpha Mount World (<- click here) has also followed up on this with SONY... and has gotten word that it is being addressed this way, too.

flickr & Sdi