Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

Angry SONY glass prices rise again

I am sure glad I bought all my lenses when I did, as they have done nothing but go up in price for the past three years. I mean, the SONY lenses have not gotten any better, just dustier, as they have sat on the shelves, for at least those same three years.

I wonder if they have the build dates on these things, because the chances are that your brand new CZ 85mm f/1.4 or CZ 135mm f/1.8 could be four years old. That's less than amusing. And that $6299 300mm f/2.8 G SSM and $1999 70-200mm f/2.8 G SSM ... are more than likely, the re-badged Minolta-builds, from 2004. Seven years old! And now, far more than they cost then... I guess you are paying the "RENT" for the space they continue to take up!

What I am saying, there is no increased value to them. They are not new. Same lens, just older. They did not cost a thing to build, year after year, as they just sat there.

Honestly, you would have been better off buying them all on credit and paid the silly interest. At least you would have had FULL use of the lenses. Now, they are going to stick it to you, anyway... and you did not even have the use of the glass. Nothing personal, here, but I guess the joke is on you, pal. Name:  bash.gif
Views: 76
Size:  1.7 KB

Buy big and buy early. Mark my words, "Waiting is counterproductive in photography." Somethings just won't wait.

Again, you should buy early.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 09-20-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Get off your ass and buy some glass....