Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Question Point & shoot with best redeye reduction

Questionnaire answered below, but I'll cut to the chase: my kids have very blue eyes, they glow like little devils in almost every flash picture. I need something that will take decent pix of them, without requiring me to do post-processing after the snap.

(I saw some threads about this from years back, but would probably find it hard to find a 5-year-old camera on the market . . .)

Camera Type

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet that's okay!)
    Point & Shoot

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
    No - 4th digital.

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
    Let the camera do the thinking. I'm not intimidated by lots of controls (I used SLRs in the 80s and 90s), I just don't have time to take advantage of them since I had kids . . . so the camera stays in its most automatic mode most of the time

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
    Image quality first, would prefer to have some zoom but not interested in a big range.

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    Compactness is not a primary consideration for me

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    $150-$250, but willing to go higher if it will get me the right feature.

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    Memory cards and a small case, that's about it.

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    Until it breaks :-)

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for?
    Spontaneous snaps at home and on outings with kids.

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    No.

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    Yes.

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    Online and small prints, occasional 8x10s, very occasional 11x17s.

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    Straight from the camera.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    - Red-eye prevention/reduction
    - Image quality in general, in particular crispness of focus and vividness of colors

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    No.

As a very general rule the Canon compacts have fairly good redeye correction and are among the top for nice results straight out of the camera. Nikon and Olympus color is Ok, but you will need to make your own redeye assessments. When in doubt, buy from an outfit with a good return policy!

no help Kelly
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Thanks!

I read a bunch of reviews on this site, and specifically paid attention to the results for redeye. One thing that I noticed was that the results were often quite different for different cameras in the same family, and sometimes even for models which were essentially older/newer versions of the same design.

So I decided to stick with cameras which had actually been reviewed here, and had fared well in the redeye test. That's very limiting, but I'm a lot more comfortable buying based on data from third-party test (even if it's not strictly scientific) than gambling on something for which I have no data at all beyond the marketing materials.

(I ended up buying a Canon ELPH 100 HS.)

Canon is always a "safe bet". Though I do buy other brands from time to time.