Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there hope?

Is there hope?

I haven't even had my camera out of the house in about three weeks. Is there any hope for me?
    I think that I have forgotten about half of everything I learned about utilizing this camera. It's not like riding a bicycle...
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

If you can still point it at a subject you have retained 90% of the important knowledge.

This happens...

The time comes when your excitement over ol' Betsy... yeah, even the little woman, wanes... and there she sits, on a perfectly good Friday night, doing nothing. The weird part... you may lament not doing something, but your in a slump... in other words, who cares? In my estimation, it is a form of minor depression. Let's face it, you cannot be "UP" all the time, otherwise you'd be a little goofy. My own S.O. complains of my fanatical interest in things, then also complains when I don't take an interest in throwing the refuse out. "You cannot have it both ways!" I often reply, to which I often have to duck the item heaved in my direction.

Look, just grab the camera... don't go anywhere, just sit back in your easy chair and do calisthenics to build up your arm strength. You will eventually get tired of doing this and will then find yourself interested, once again, to take cool images. Anything but exercise!

Find a subject you have always wanted to shoot... probably not the neighbor's kid, but then go make that image happen. Make that "investment" do something more than collect dust, because built up on a sensor, it sucks. Challenge yourself a little. Do it from the prone position, or trying to maintain a really steady shot at 1/15th second. Practice using adequate "fill lighting," instead of getting silhouettes in the window. Heck, you may not even need to get up from the easy chair for that one.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I cart my camera bag with me to work every day of the week, except in rare instances. When I need a mental break from work, I'l take the camera out for some shots, most of which end up deleted. But there are times when I might not photograph for days, but I have it with me, ready to go. It helps me feel connected to my camera and photography even if a couple of weeks go by without a shot taken.

I think that if you take a couple of shots at least once a week, for as little as 5 minutes, I think you will feel connected to your camera. More important, I think you will soon find a subject of interest you might not have thought of otherwise and really get going.
    Darin Wessel
    α 900
    Zooms: Tamron SP AF70-200mm f2.8 Di LD Macro; Sigma 28-90mm D macro, Konica-Minolta 18-70 f3.5-5.6
    Primes: Minolta 28mm f2.8; Sony 50mm f1.4
    Minolta RC-1000 remote commander

Film:
    Calumet Cambo CC400 4x5 View Camera
    YashikaMat 6x6 TLR (other accessories)
    Minolta Maxxum 7000 w/ Minolta 35-80mm f/4-5.6 & Minolta 2800 flash
    Minolta Maxxum 5000i & Vivitar 728 AFM flash
    What's next???

I was really attempting to start a conversation that wasn't argumentative.
    Unfortunately guys, I work on a military installation. They frown on taking a camera and just taking pictures...
    I looked at it this afternoon, and the S.O. had other ideas for me. I hate being a homeowner and having the dreaded "honey-do" list.
    Keep up the faith in me. I'll post something that will be appropriate soon.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Joe, I wouldn't worry too much, Photography's a hobby for most of us and your involvement will wax and wane depending on how many distractions are competing for your attention.
    I doubt though you'll forget everything you've learned, it will resurface when you get going again.

Joe,

I always found Summer time constraints and macro work fit together nicely. In summer there are nearly always bugs and flowers within spitting distance of nearly everyone's front door. With no travel time you can just step outside for 15 minutes to shoot.

I haven't taken any pictures in over a week. I need to expand search area for new things to shoot. Not to mention the heat wave we have been having after working in the heat taking pictures never even came to mind. My grandson will be here for a few days so I will be taking some pictures of him.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    Joe,

I always found Summer time constraints and macro work fit together nicely. In summer there are nearly always bugs and flowers within spitting distance of nearly everyone's front door. With no travel time you can just step outside for 15 minutes to shoot.
    Almost a good idea
    Except, if you read Franks entry you will see my issue. I live in the Southeast part of the United States. If I step outside for any period of time, it's usually done in a rapid motion to get from one Airconditioned area to another. We have had some terribly hot days here, over 90 everyday. It's miserable, and everything has a heat glaze to it. Even the bugs are hiding
    Plus, my kids are "sick and tired" of getting their pictures taken. So looks like it will be the dogs and cats for a while. Be right back...
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash

Joe,

It isn't any cooler here in Atlanta. I do not let the heat stop me completely. Although I will admit to being out of the state much of July.