Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How to Post Photos to the DCRP

There are two methods of posting photos to the DCRP: directly via attachment (#1 below) or using an image hosting service (#2 below). In both cases, you need to resize your photo(s) (#3 below).

1. Direct Posting
    There are two important limitations to direct posting: the file can't be larger than 234.4K and only one image can be displayed. If you upload multiple images, they'll show only as addresses (URLs). (You can display multiple images only by making a new post for each one.)

Assuming your image has been resized (see #3), start a reply, quote or new thread and enter the desired text. Scroll down to Manage Attachments. Click Browse and doubleclick the file you want to upload. Click Upload and that's it.

To see how it'll look, select Preview Post. If it's okay, click on Submit. If not, scroll down to the editor, make any changes, and click Preview again, or Submit.

2. Image Hosting Service
    There are many of these available on the Web, some of them free. You can upload multiple images, copy the URLs, and then paste the URLs into your DCRP post wherever you want the picture(s) to appear. Note that you're limited to ten images per post, and that includes smilies.

Try putting image hosting into Google and you'll find lots of them. To get you started, here are some free services:

http://imageshack.us
    http://www.snapfish.com
    http://photobucket.com

Not surprisingly, they would like you to upgrade to a paid service, so some restrictions apply, such as a filesize limit (typically 1MB per image).

3. Resizing and Reducing Your Image
    Since most monitors display at 72 pixels per inch, the image from your camera is too large and will require scrolling off the screen edge to see it all. Resizing the image to somewhere between 800 and 1024 horizontal pixels is about right for filling the screen.

If you're not sure, find some pictures in Gallery with a size that looks good, right-click on an image and select Properties. That'll tell you the file size and resolution in pixels. You'll find that most of the larger ones are 800 by 600 or 1024 by 768 or so.

The software that came with your camera can resize and reduce your images. Because there are so many different programs, I'll leave this part up to you. However, if your software is awkward to use, Google's free Picasa gets very good reviews from members here. A crash course in Picasa resizing and reducing (most programs should work about the same way):

Select the image so that it appears in the Picture Tray at the left. Click on Export at the right. Use Browse to give it a destination folder, or type it in. Set Resize to 800 or 1024. Set the Image Quality slider to give a filesize of 100K to 200K for DCRP posting (you'll have to experiment with this - try 60% to 80% at first). Click OK and that's it. To examine the new image, go to its folder, right-click it and select Properties>Summary>Advanced.

In Photoshop, you can use Image Size or Save for Web. Enter 800 or 1024 for the horizontal size (note that when resizing, both the Constrain and Resample boxes should have a checkmark). An advantage to Photoshop is that it will show you the filesize as you move the Quality slider.

Remember to use Save As and give it a new name or Photoshop will overwrite your original.

Regards,
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Markwick; 10-31-2005 at 01:12 AM.

Wink lazy? but what a guy...

Bill, you are the man,
    lets hope that we will see more pictures on forums,
    i keep sending mine,promise
    thanks once more,
    keep well,
    regards
    zdzislaw
    ps.enjoy the pic
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thumbs up This is great

Thanks so much Bill! I've stickied the thread here, and added it to the photo forum announcement as well.
    Jeff Keller
    Founder/Editor, Digital Camera Resource Page

Question

Bill - Nice job. I'm sure it will help a lot of people.

One question tho, is the direct post limit 234k or 118k? Seems like when I first tried to post a pic here it gave me a limit of 118k and I've always used that when I save for web by file size.

Thanks,
    Dennis

Canon 5D
    Canon 20D

Georgetown, KY Photographer
    Retouching

Thanks in return!

Many thanks to all for the kind words. I had fun writing that!

As for the maximum file size, if you click on Manage Attachments, you'll see a chart with 234.4K listed for JPG files. I tested it with a larger file, and yup, it said 234.4 is the max.

Regards,
    Bill

Thanks Bill - finally managed to post a properly sized pic.

ok, I'm struggling here.
    A while back, i posted some pictures on the thread about action shots and you actually saw the pictures as you scroll the the thread... now all that happens is an attachment link appears! What am i doing wrong?

ok, thats typical, it worked this time, but my post in the pets section didn't!! Honest!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Steve

Canon S3is for Manual Stuff
    Panasonic TZ1 in BLUE
    Fuji S9500(S900) Sold a dud and returned it!!
    Canon S2is (since 25/12/05) Went back!!
    Canon Powrshot S30 (since Dec 2002)

I have a fairly more robust tutorial with detailed screen pics set up. If you guys think I should move it here., let me know.

I didn't want to step on OPs toes by doing so just yet.

Pradice Guest

Konica Minolta Dimage G500

can someone help me. I have several KONICA MINOLTA DIMAGE G500. I really like this camera for it takes great pictures and great for traveling. However the motor that opens and closes the lense burn up quickly and easily. I need instructions on how to take this thing apart and replace the motors. Anyone know where I can download a service manual or assembly instructions on this baby. Thanks a million.

Hamp

Quote Originally Posted by Pradice
    can someone help me. I have several KONICA MINOLTA DIMAGE G500. I really like this camera for it takes great pictures and great for traveling. However the motor that opens and closes the lense burn up quickly and easily. I need instructions on how to take this thing apart and replace the motors. Anyone know where I can download a service manual or assembly instructions on this baby. Thanks a million.

Hamp
    If you want an answer to this question, you should post it in the Konica area. This area is for questions/pointers on how to post photos in this forum.

Ray.