Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Which Camera Should I Buy?

Please here me finding my new camera. The following are my answers on the short questionnaire:

Camera Type

• Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet — that's okay!)

> Compact point and shoot.

• Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?

> No. I currently own Canon powershot sd630

• Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?

> Prefer to let the camera do much “thinking”.

• If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?

> Something between.

• What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?

> I like to have it in small size (something close to my SD630). I would sacrifice around 20%-30% of features for compactness.

Budget

• What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.

> Up to $375.00

• Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)

> If I like the camera, then of course I will spend more money on it.

• How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?

> 3 years.

Usage

• What will you generally use the camera for?

> I do travel a lot and I would like to have a camera that is compact (easy to carry) and take awesome pictures.
    > Parties sometime (low light).

• Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?

> I didn’t yet, but maybe in the future. It’s not my major concern anyway.

• Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?

> Yes

• Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?

> I usually share them digitally (computer screen or TV screen). And if I print them, then I would like to have option to print them in any size.

• Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?

> Straight form the camera.

Miscellaneous

• Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?

Yes what important to me is:

1) I would like to see my picture fit my whole 1080P LCD TV screen.
    2) I would like my camera to shoot video in minimum of 720P (30fps - 60fps).

• Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?

I like Canon but I don’t mind if it’s from other brand you guys recommend.

Thank you,
    MikeJoe

Canon ELPH 500 HS and Canon SX230 would be a couple of obvious starting points for your search.

Kelly Cook
    Canon EOS 50D, Fujifilm F45fd, various film dinosaurs

Quote Originally Posted by KCook View Post
    Canon ELPH 500 HS and Canon SX230 would be a couple of obvious starting points for your search.

Kelly Cook
    Thanks Kelly. I checked some reviews on both cameras and both seem have issue with HD video (choppy videos).

I will continue searching until I found a camera (Compact, Great pictures and video).

Regards,
    MikeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by mikejoe View Post
    I will continue searching until I found a camera (Compact, Great pictures and video).
    No camera is perfect. Today, the state of the art are cameras like the ELPH 300/500. If you are willing to go a bit larger the Canon S95 or G12 or Panasonic LX5 are going to be high quality cameras in a relatively small body. If you wish to stay with the ultracompact size of something like your SD630 you are going to have to sacrifice something.

Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    No camera is perfect. Today, the state of the art are cameras like the ELPH 300/500. If you are willing to go a bit larger the Canon S95 or G12 or Panasonic LX5 are going to be high quality cameras in a relatively small body. If you wish to stay with the ultracompact size of something like your SD630 you are going to have to sacrifice something.
    Thanks David for your reply.