Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Some Photos of My Son

My Son is now 6 months old and is becoming a little more camera friendly. So here are some shot that I've taken of him in the past week or so. Let me know what you think.

Aiden Michael by Switchblade906, on Flickr

Tummy Time! by Switchblade906, on Flickr

What Are Those!?! by Switchblade906, on Flickr

Huh? What's That Thing You Have Dad? by Switchblade906, on Flickr

BIG SMILE by Switchblade906, on Flickr

Little Smirk by Switchblade906, on Flickr

UMMM Donut by Switchblade906, on Flickr
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

Switch, whilst these are a nice set of family photos which will always give you pleasure, they are a bit lacking technically.
    #1 is underexposed. You should have been using "Spot" metering rather than "Matrix" metering. You can correct to an extent in Post Processing, something like this...

Name:  Switch.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  601.6 KB

.. but better to get it right in camera.

#2 is also underexposed even though you obviously used flash. Again "Spot" metering would have helped or you could have tried ADI flash (discussed in another thread).

#3-5 The classic problem for beginners, cute kid (wife too), bright sun and hard shadows. Place the subject's back to the Sun to avoid the dreaded squint and hey presto, underexposure. Using "Spot" metering will help but you're going to get burnout in the highlights and that is unacceptable in four of those images where the Sun is directly on the face. What you need is Fill Flash and try to avoid mixing the Sun and hard shadows on the face.

I see what you mean about #1

I dont know what spot metering is though.

and for the ones with the sun "fill flash" is using the flash to get rid of the shadows?
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I see what you mean about #1

I dont know what spot metering is though.

Name:  Switch Spot.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  260.0 KB

Switch, you need to thoroughly understand how the camera meters for proper exposure and you need to read as much as you can on the web. I can point you in the right direction but you need to do a bit of research. Basically, the camera meter sees the world in shades of grey and only gets to see reflected light, so it can only guess at how much light is really hitting the subject. Different surfaces reflect light in their own way so assumptions have to be made. The meter assumes that, on average, the light hitting the meter will be middle grey; this works surprisingly well for a subject with an even spread of tones but, often enough, that proves not to be the case and that's where you come in. You have to recognise those situations and adjust accordingly using "exposure compensation" (there is a button and control dial for it).

Using Aiden #1 as an example, you're not really concerned about the background exposure, what you want is correct exposure of the face and eyes. Just looking at it you can see that the big bright area (his face) front and centre is going to fool the meter into underexposure.

Centre weighted metering is supposed to be ideal for Portraits but I don't hold with that and it definitely won't do for a back lit subject.

Selecting "Spot" metering restricts the metering to the small area inside the circle (in the VF). Meter for the brightest point on his face where you need to record detail, say on the forehead and the meter will set that at middle grey. Now here's the rub, skin tones vary from person to person and they can't all be middle grey can they? Halle Berry is; you know who I mean, right. Well her skin tone is a perfect middle grey so, when you take her portrait, no further adjustment is necessary, she's perfect, Ok?

But Aiden has a much lighter skin tone so you need to give him more exposure to compensate. Hit the exposure compensation button and turn the control dial to +1.5 stops and you're probably good to go. You may need to fine tune that setting to exactly match Aiden's skin tone.

Your Wife appears to have similar colouring so the same applies, except that as she aquires a tan, you will have to pull back to +1.0EV or so. Make up can throw things off a bit though.

If your subject were Black, then you would go the opposite way and dial in -1.0 EV.

Honestly, it's not as complicated as it sounds.
    Just select "Spot" metering and "Spot" focus.
    Dial in the +1.5 stops compensation.
    Point at the brightest point on his face, press and hold the AEL button to lock the exposure, recompose and shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    ... and for the ones with the sun "fill flash" is using the flash to get rid of the shadows?
    Yes indeedy. TTL fill flash, centre weighted metering and give it a go.
    Experiment a bit!

Switch,
    Check out this link. It explains what Peter is saying in detail. http://swannman.wordpress.com/2006/0...oper-exposure/

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Ok thanks, ill have to give that a try.

Flickr