Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don, that's a pretty old bit of writing you managed to dig up and certainly ADI was introduced back with the Dynax7 but things can and have moved on.
    I actually gave quite a few more facts in my post which I stand by. Good luck trying to refute them.
    You are of course entitled to disagree with my opinion that ADI with flash is pretty useless.

Peter,

As I am sure you have seen, as have I, the difference in flash exposure using a non-ADI lens vs a ADI-designed lens. I witnessed a dramatic shift in auto-magic imaging ("AUTO") mode between the TAMRON AF 70-300 non-Di LD (5-contact) and their Di-version (8-contact). It was as if someone had thrown a 4x ND filter on the front of the lens. Otherwise, (take the built-in flash away) and these were identically performing lenses.

"Useless" to you or not, that is a significant effect for the unwashed to experience. Having them aware of this difference and how to avoid it is my main thrust. Obviously, someone else noticed.

The bottom line is that for the lower end cameras (sub-700), stick with using the most modern (post-2005) lenses, if you can. You will suffer less complications, because they are built for one another. As you get more involved, experiment and most of all, enjoy the sport.

Thank you for your input, Peter. Remember "K.I.S.S."
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-06-2011 at 11:51 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    As I am sure you have seen, as have I, the difference in flash exposure using a non-ADI lens vs a ADI-designed lens.
    Not really Don, most cockups are down to a lack of understanding and let's not forget that the Distance encoder is not for ADI flash alone but is used for matrix metering in MF mode and DOF display.

I witnessed a dramatic shift in auto-magic imaging ("AUTO") mode between the TAMRON AF 70-300 non-Di LD (5-contact) and their Di-version (8-contact). It was as if someone had thrown a 4x ND filter on the front of the lens. Otherwise, (take the built-in flash away) and these were identically performing lenses.
    I can't comment on your experience with the Tamron lens because I am not, as you know, Tamron's biggest fan but it doesn't surprise me to hear of an incompatibility.

"Useless" to you or not, that is a significant effect for the unwashed to experience. Having them aware of this difference and how to avoid it is my main thrust. Obviously, someone else noticed.

The bottom line is that for the lower end cameras (sub-700), stick with using the most modern (post-2005) lenses, if you can. You will suffer less complications, because they are built for one another. As you get more involved, experiment and most of all, enjoy the sport.

Thank you for your input, Peter. Remember "K.I.S.S."
    Yes but I didn't make the comment because I thought ADI didn't work. Perhaps "pretty well useless" was a bit strong but we should encourage our less experienced users to use diffusers, to bounce it or get the flash off camera in order to render more natural images without that "flashed" look. None of this is possible using ADI flash and you can in any case use flash compensation which is easier to access than is the ADI function.

A little experiment.

I'm using my oldest non (D) function lens, the Minolta 50mm f/1.7 from 1985 and a Sony F58AM flash gun.
    I've got the camera on Matrix metering in (A) mode at f/10 using pre flash TTL and, with focus on the far wall ......

Name:  ADI test 01 TTL.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  460.1 KB

This is the classic case of TTL being fooled into underexposure by all that white in the foreground. Wedding Photogs have this problem all the time with the Bridal dress.
    You can fix this with flash compensation or you can switch to ADI flash but seeing as this is about ADI and when it works (or not) I'm selecting ADI.
    You can probably hear the hoots of derision coming from Des Plains, Ilinois but I am unfussed and have confidence in my trusty old (non D) Minolta lens.

Name:  ADI test 02.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  332.5 KB

Ok, you can see that the focus is on the Pepperpot and the exposure is good for the target.
    Now I switch focus to the far wall and ....

Name:  ADI test 03.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  310.6 KB

Hey presto, the exposure is correct for the far end whilst rendering the foreground overexposed, as you would expect.

I think it's plain to see from these pics that whilst, in the first pic, TTL was fooled into underexposure, in the last two pic ADI has done its job even though you might think it impossible in a non (D) lens.

Feel free to try this at home, the only danger is to your preconceptions.