Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    geoff, i agree. for an enthusiast the d5100 is not an ideal primary camera primarily cos its menu driven. i tend to treat it like a p&s. the menu access is a little annoying and i cant find the damn buttons anyway so i just leave it be. lol BUT...the quality of images is gobsmacking and the video from it rips my video camera to shreds, embarrassingly so. in fact video is exactly what i wanted it to be and i'm absolutely convinced now after owning one that video will and should become second nature in dslr. i have one video that i took on like the 3rd day i owned it; its a 45second bit of zac slipping off the wall and landing on his head, (for me and lucas this was hysterical). i would not have used the video camera for it and images would not have told the story. lucas and i still watch it every now and then to have a laugh. right there its worth its price of admission.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    i tend to treat it like a p&s
    Pretty sure Nikon fully intended the D5100 to be aimed at the point-and-shoot crowd. The D90 was huge for Nikon in sales, and they suspect a huge number of D90 purchases were first-time buyers who likely didn't get more than a kit lens.

Meanwhile, I don't think most of these first-time dSLR buyers would fully use the full feature set of even the D3100, much less the D90/7000.

I am very seriously thinking of getting the D5100 myself
    Nikon D40|Nikon D5100|AF-S 50mm f/1.4|AF-S 18-105mm DX|SB 900|SB 400|AF-S 35mm f/1.8 DX|AF-S 10-24mm DX

Canon A610

Flickr

It really is horses for courses - I reckon they are all good provided
    the controls etc suit you
    I am really not bothered by the video facility - in fact my Panasonic P&S has pretty good video
    with auto focus and zoom facility - so it doesn't matter to me if the DSLR has it or not.
    I know the D90 Video is not the best and is a first attempt example of DSLR Video - it
    remains to be seen if I will bother to use it or not. I bought it for the camera.
    For those considering excellent quality who don't need to mess with depth of field and
    will operate kind of seni automatic - the D5100 would be an excellent choice (IMO)
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

Here's an exception to the 'wait until extinct' theory. I waited a lot of months for the D90 price to go down [following the D7000]. Then came the Japanese tsunami, and the price went UP. So, I moved fast. The D90 replaced a D40, and I love it!

You did well mikezlm - I reckon the D90 will be phased out really soon anyway
    but that tsunami will affect a lot of producets like that.
    The D40 produced lovely results - did you part exchange it? It would make a great 2nd camera.
    I got my D90 at the lowest price - except for one internet site - and from my favourite
    dealer.
    screenclutter - I think you are right there - many people wouldn't understand or be fully aware
    of some of the features on a D90 - let alone a D7000. I came from SLR film background and
    have dabbled in Photography for more years than I dare admit to - so I find the D90 is
    pretty handy (as is the D80)

each to their own. personally i love the d7k feel. more so than the d90. the d5100 is a different story altogether. it's very canon like in its ergonomics. the thought process behind where the buttons are must have been conducted by a blind monkey on an acid trip.
    Ha!! Good old Rooz!!
    Nikon D200 / Sigma lenses 17-70mm 2.8-4.5 / EX 10-20mm 4-5.6 / EX 8mm 4 / 70-300mm 4-5.6 / Vivitar 285HV's
    flickr Website

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Chandler View Post
    I could use a D7000
    but my hands couldn't find a comfortable and safe position and would start to ache very quickly.
    That's interesting I found the d7k to be quite comparable to the d80
    That's a great example of why it's crucial to hold cameras before buying its great to read how good they are but nothing worse then not wanting to hold the darn thing cause they are uncomfortable... I had that issue with the 5100 when I held it in the shop it just felt wrong and the 7k just felt natural (like my d80)
    Nikon D7000 - Nikkor AF-S 70-200vrII f2.8 | Nikkor AF-S 105vr f2.8 Micro | Nikkor AF-S 16-85 | Nikkor AF-D 35mm f2 |Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro | SB-700 | SB-600

Website

This just goes to show why it is always better to handle the cam before buying.
    We are all different, 2 similar cams may not seem so similar to one person(me) as they do to another
    (ssil2000) - for me the D90 feels more like the D80 than the D7000

Congratulations Geoff on your D90. It is a very solid camera, and I like mine. It is my primary with a D40 as backup. While I have had the D90 for a while and virtually 100% photos, the one area wanting to expand is video. That creates a delima, as the D90 video is limited with the D7000 far superior in the video - and a sellable product. The auto gain adjustments in the D90 drive me crazy. D90 to D7000 seems a little steep for the same level camera. Probably going to wait until the D400? comes out and evaluate. In the meantime getting a lot of video practice with the D90 and upgrading m computer to an I7 with a Nvieda GTX card as unbelievable how choppy the editing view is and slownwss of the final rendering.

Abslutely correct, must fit! That will ultimately decide which way I will go between the two. In my other expensive hobby - bicycling - fit is Rule #1 when shopping for a bike. If it doesn't fit, you won't ride it and it just collects cobwebs.

The other thing I have to consider is weight. I do a lot of pole photography, and when the camera is up 18 feet (5.5 meters), it gets a little wobbly and topheavy. Initially intended to use the D40 but it has no remote shutter capability as that distance is max range of IR and won't work from directly under anyway. Forced to put the D90 up there with radio triggers.
    Digital: Nikon D40; Nikon D90; Nikon D7000 Nikkor 18-55; Nikkor 55-200VR; Sigma 10-20; Tamron 17-50; SB-600; SB-900; Pocket Wizards
    Film: Canon AE-1; T70; FD 28mm 2.8; FD 50mm 1.8; FD 135mm 3.5
    Wish List: Unlimited! Let's not go there.

geoff, i agree. for an enthusiast the d5100 is not an ideal primary camera primarily cos its menu driven. i tend to treat it like a p&s. the menu access is a little annoying and i cant find the damn buttons anyway so i just leave it be. lol BUT...the quality of images is gobsmacking and the video from it rips my video camera to shreds, embarrassingly so. in fact video is exactly what i wanted it to be and i'm absolutely convinced now after owning one that video will and should become second nature in dslr. i have one video that i took on like the 3rd day i owned it; its a 45second bit of zac slipping off the wall and landing on his head, (for me and lucas this was hysterical). i would not have used the video camera for it and images would not have told the story. lucas and i still watch it every now and then to have a laugh. right there its worth its price of admission.
    Couple of things here!

Rooz, for those of us up over 'gobsmacking' that's like a good thing, right?

Secondly, have you and Lucas paid Zac a creative fee for your amusement? lol
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%