Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buy when model is becoming extinct

I decided to wait.
    I got a D90 for a really good price - and from a reputable shop
    It was the ideal model for me for too many reasns to go into
    but I am very pleased wiuth it as it is so like my D80 - and yet better as well in all the
    ways I would like it to be
    Geoff Chandler. UK/England/Surrey
    NIKON D90 / D80. Nikon 16 - 85 VR, Tamron 28-200,
    Sigma 70-300APO, Tokina 100 AT-X Pro D.
    SB600 flash. Panasonic DMC-TZ25

http://geof777.multiply.com

D90 performs much faster. I feel the difference when using both at my son's soccer match. D90 also has faster burst mode too while D80 has a slower mode.
    Speed aside you will see the difference in IQ as well, which is the feature everyone appreciate.

The problem with waiting for a model to become extinct is that you will resist the temptation to jump straight to its replacement model after checking improvement in features. [D7000 is better than D90 in low light... hmmmm....]
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Well done Geoff I'm not surprised you got a D90 sounded like that was where you'd go after the last conversation we had. The D90 was the nicest camera I handled at Focus on imaging this year. tim11 maybe I'm just strange but I just didn't like the D7000's handling and busy OVF somehow in comparison. I've been considering swapping all my Oly gear lately and the 90 would have been where I'd have jumped too. Just can't bear to let go of Oly though somehow. Don't think I've outgrown it photographically yet. Geoff your comment about extinction is a good one but timing is all important if you time it wrong the prices can go up temporarily due to scarcity. Anyway looking forward to many new picture posts Geoff.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Thanks Guys
    I agree with Phill about the handling/feel of the D7000 - it's a shame - but never mind
    Unfortunately - at the moment I am unable to get photos uploaded
    since my last upload they have changed the uploader and it doesn't work anymore for me
    Maybe it will fix itself in time!

each to their own. personally i love the d7k feel. more so than the d90. the d5100 is a different story altogether. it's very canon like in its ergonomics. the thought process behind where the buttons are must have been conducted by a blind monkey on an acid trip.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    it's very canon like in its ergonomics. the thought process behind where the buttons are must have been conducted by a blind monkey on an acid trip.
    Absolute gold Rooz.

Congrats Geoff, you've earnt it - now enjoy it.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Congrats on your new camera. nothing quite as satisfying like a hunter's triumph felt after patiently waiting for the best, juiciest prey...err deal!
    Current camera: Canon PowerShot SX30 IS

My photos used to go here! but now I post them on Facebook. :P

Oh yeah...*ahem* Disclaimer: Any opinions I share are from the perspective of a lazy, couch-potato point and shooter. So take it with a grain of salt.

Congrats, and patience does have it's virtues, I hope you have many a fine picture day Enjoy!
    I thought about who I am... and realized I was an
    unformed, unreconciled imagery, without "GOD"

NikonD?
    and some other Nikon stuff

0.0%

Brilliant Rooz you have a great turn of phrase - maybe that means I'll like the 5100 . Seriously though I didn't spend long with the 7000 so it was very much first impressions but spending the same time with the D90 straight after it just fitted my hand so well and felt right to use. I tried the Pentax K5 at the same time and that felt good too. Don't suppose I'll get any of them but it was good to try them.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

It is tricky, really, trying to choose what's going to suit you best - when it's
    only after you have used the cam for a while that you can fully appreciate it.
    For me I would admit it was a slightly safe bet having had the D80 for nearly 5Y
    (Also - the finances would have influenced a little - although I was always willing
    to save until I could afford whatever I wanted.)
    Maybe if my hands/wrists wern't a bit painfull at times I could have chosen differently ~
    but I can hang on to a D80 all day without discomfort, I might be able to also with a D300
    though it has more heft and is a touch larger to hold. Don't get me wrong - I could use a D7000
    but my hands couldn't find a comfortable and safe position and would start to ache very quickly.
    As for the D5100 that I looked at - no doubt the results are excellent - but that goes the other way for me
    and is a tad too small for my liking - also it is more menu driven - things that come to hand on a D90 are
    not so quick to find - plus I would miss the additional control wheel.