Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Cool Nikon D90 Focus Points

Hi all,
    This is my first post, but I'm far from a newbie. How do I select the D90 Focus Point I want, and make it stay there? I'm in AF-S mode.

Example: I want to focus on a flower towards the left of the frame, and Not on the distant trees at the right. I know I'm supposed to hold a button down, and utilize the rear thumb dial wheel, and it's not working. Thanks...

AF-S is not relevant neither is the button or the rear thumb wheel.
    You need to have the camera in M, A, or S mode on the wheel on the top right of the body. Once you are in those modes you can select the focus point by manipulating the four way controller on the right side of the LCD on the rear of the camera. You will need to learn what M, A and S modes are and how they work.
    Now I'll say this politely. You need to read the user manual. Spend some time with it with the camera in your hands working through the various ways the camera works. Your question indicates that you haven't read the manual or that you simply haven't understood it. People here are more than willing to help but you need to attempt to at least get hold of the basics of the camera operation yourself otherwise this will be a very time consuming and frustrating process for you and others.

One more piece of advice. The D90 is a DSLR not a Point and Shoot camera. You have posted this in the wrong section of the forum.
    Last edited by K1W1; 05-20-2011 at 04:12 PM.

Thanks K1W1. Can you advise me as to where this should have been posted?

In the Nikon DSLR section.

I have the cam and it took me a while to find it when I knew it must exist so I understand your question.

The stupid cam comes from the factory locked in auto. From memory I had to go into the menus under focus point or autofocus method.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Let me clarify above.

Welcome to the forum. Great choice of camera. Enjoy and feel free to post some pics in the galleries.

When I said stupid, I was referring to Nikons underestimation of their users, presuming they would be driving their nice new mid range DSLR in autofocus area select rather than want to control the focus points.
    D800, D300, D90, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200VR f2.8, 300 F4, 105 micro, 16-85VR, 50mm 1.8, Tammy 90 macro, 70-300VR, SB900, 2xSB600, MB-D10, 055XPROB 322RC2. New computers to run photoshop faster. C&C always appreciated. PhotoGallery
    Pressing the shutter is the start of the process - Joe McNally ... Buying the body is the start of the process - Dread Pirate

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.
    The quick way of doing it is going into the Custom Settings Menu -- Autofocus -- AF Area Mode -- Single Point.
    After hitting OK and exiting the menus, you should be able to pick your AF point with the four way controller.
    JRR

Oh, and I agree with K1W1, you should take some time, read the manual and tinker with the camera.
    Last edited by jr_rodriguez; 05-21-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Removed as unnecessary.
    Last edited by Graystar; 05-22-2011 at 08:35 AM.

Thumbs up

FOLLOW-UP:
    The ability to move the Focus Point around and hold it there... is achieved in the Custom Setting Menu > Autofocus > AF Area mode > Single or Dynamic area.

Then, it is possible to move around a single Focus Point. I learned this simply by exploring the Menu.

Quote Originally Posted by mikezlm View Post
    I learned this simply by exploring the Menu.
    It almost sounds like you're proud of that accomplishment. I guess you won't be needing any written instructions then.