Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

View Poll Results: What is your next lens purchase?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wide PRIME (fixed focal length) 10 through 35mm

0 0%
  • Normal PRIME (fixed focal length) 50 through 60mm

0 0%
  • Telephoto PRIME (fixed focal length) 70 through 200mm

2 33.33%
  • Super PRIME (fixed focal length) 300mm+

0 0%
  • UltraWide ZOOM (10-35mm range)

0 0%
  • Normal ZOOM (17-50mm range)

0 0%
  • Short Telephoto (28-105mm range)

1 16.67%
  • Low-end Telephoto ZOOM (70-300mm f/4-5.6)

1 16.67%
  • High-end Telephoto ZOOM (70-200mm f/2.8)

1 16.67%
  • Super Telephoto ZOOM (70-400mm+ range)

1 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just find it hard to believe that only three members are considering a new lens. Must be nice.

Survey Participants: please be effusive about why you might what the particular lens you selected in the survey.

Information such as:
    • Manufacturer
    • Specific lens name
    • Price you are looking to pay (realistic, not fantasy)
    • Retailer you are considering as a source for your lens
    • Subject matter you are planning to frame with this particular lens
    • Lenses you may be retiring
    • Years you have been using what you already have
    • Have you ever dropped you camera/lenses (if so, how many times?)
    • Are you expecting to treat this new lens better?
    • If you are not considering a new lens, what is it that you have that is so darn great that you do not have to? 'Fess up

Just for starters...

Name:  2032mm-on-gimbal.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  227.6 KB

Remember, we all have to start with something.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-22-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by joenmell View Post
    ............. I am looking at the Minolta 28-135mm as my next purchase, but the desire would be the 70-300G................
    Good choices, Joe. Different horses, though.

I did purchase a 28-135mm off of Ebay. Paid too much for it (I think) but really wanted that area of coverage. Also got a phone call from my brother in Washington State, he shoots Canon and said that one of the women who work with him knew he was into photography and gave him a camera bag with an old film camera in it. He called me and asked if I knew anything about older Minolta stuff since I am using Sony. He is shipping me the mint condition 70-210 F4 and the 35-70mm Mini Beercan that was in the bag. Said the women was gonna through it away, but decided to give it to someone who might use it.
    Can't possibly describe the smile on my face right now Hope to post pictures soon, maybe even this weekend.
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

It's only too much if the lens is a crock. A good one is priceless, figuratively speaking.

HoHoHo, there is a God! The fabulous Beercan and it's small companion which is sharp as hell. Both from the Minolta constant f/4 midrange of lenses.

35mm...

I have to say, it really is hard to go wrong with a 70-400mm f/4-5.6 G SSM. Outdoors, it solves so many issues, instantly, it is kind of scary. Indoors... with some added brilliance, it can be a real trooper.

Superior zoom, I guess.

My next choice is glass will have to be something other than the Sigma AF 120-300mm f/2.8 DG EX APO HSM, which I had originally chosen, but SIGMA put the kibosh on manufacturing for the SONY mount. So, running down the gear list, where I suppose I could be considered a little "soft," I am torn between the SONY CZ 24mm f/2 or the SONY AF 35mm f/1.4 G

The 35mm is the more likely of the two, since my only Full Frame 35mm PRIME is the MF Tilt/Shift f/3.5

So, that's the one. I have looked about for a Minolta AF 35mm f/2, but they are extremely rare... and for some silly reason, Rokinon (Samyang) thinks that they can jerk $499 out of people for their new manual focus, manual aperture 35mm f/1.4. I say thee, "Nay!" That's way over the line for a manual lens.

I mean, yes, I do own a MF 135mm f/2.8[4.5] STF, which was a pricey mother... but, arguably, that lens is one-of-a-kind and it also has electronic aperture. There really is no other lens that can provide what it does, so SONY has you over a rope. But with a pretty much ordinary 35mm f/1.4? I feel it is too limited a market for the South Koreans to try and pull on the Full Frame masses for $500, in my estimation. $300, yes ... I would be a customer, but I will go all the way to the SONY 35mm f/1.4 G and get it all. Sorry, this just bugs me.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-12-2011 at 03:56 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Bought 7 more lens for my nikon in the last month...

+ some nikon objectives for my sony a55 macro rig..

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    Bought 7 more lens for my nikon in the last month...
    Which did you buy?