Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The same place you found the other stuff.
    This page for complete kits....
    this one for additional umbrellas.....
    this one for flash guns.....

Flash guns are what can break the bank of course. I'm happy to recommend the Sony stuff and maybe you could pick up secondhand F36AMs but Sony is b***** expensive.
    The cheap stuff could be a bit iffy but you are probably Ok with a TTL compatible Metz (Metz mecablitz 36AF-4C AF E-TTL = $99).

You can go cheaper if you are prepared for manual flash only.

Perhaps Frank could chime in with an opinion here (and anyone else) as I think he bought some cheap gear.

Personally I went for an F58AM imported from HK at the same price as a 42AM. Don't see any bargains right now though.
    I've been looking out for a s/h 42AM which hasn't surfaced yet, not at the right price that is.

I use my Sony FLV42 and I have slave flash that I got from B&H Medalight PG250S DC Slave. I have a set of cheap wireless triggers and a Cowboystudio 33" Photography Studio Translucent Shoot Through with stand and flash bracket. It is nothing fancy but it does the job. L just ordered from ebay a 32 inch 5-1 collapsible reflector for $15.00.

Frank
    Sony A77
    Sony A580
    Sony A 100
    Maxxum 400si.
    Sony 18-70 Kit Lens
    Minolta AF 35-70
    Minolta AF 50 f/1.7
    Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di LD
    Tamron 60mm Macro
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
    Tamron 2x Converter
    Sony HVL-F42AM
    Quantaray 70-300 4.5-5.6 Macro
    Slingshot 200 Bag

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22083244@N06/

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn219/sparkie1263/

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I want to get an umbrella light pretty bad.

They have some on B&H that are continuous light, is that the kind i should get?
    Have a good hard think about what you are spending your money on here cos it can be a very expensive mistake. No one can determine for you which is the best option cos its very much a personal thing. Personally i hate continuous lighting. Its hot, its heavy, its cumbersome, its limiting and lacks flexibility, you need power points, you need extension leads, the leads get in the way. in general a right royal pain in the ass imho.

On the plus side you can get more light and more power.

If you have a studio type place where you can set and forget your shooting scene then maybe continuous is for you. If you dont, then i think you should reconsider.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr