Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 85mm round up

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    bahhhh....a bunch of elitist rubbish but you are right i am yanking your chain a little don lol. guys have been shooting aps-c for years and printing superb quality pics out of them, things didnt change overnight all of a sudden. hell ive done it myself on a d300. as for your comment on IQ...well i'll take delivery of a d5100 within a week. i'll just have to be satisfied with a camera that costs less than half the price of your FF sony and has a full stop more DR. lol
    Ouch.

You know, Don: you never talked this much junk about full frame cameras UNTIL you bought your a850. All of a sudden, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
    Like I've said before, there are literally thousands of professional photographers (some very well known, like Bob Krist) that use crop-sensor cameras for their work. And here you are, pretending to know better than them...

[Channeling Don]: But Rooz, the D5100 won't have anti-shake technology in the body like Sony cameras do![/End of Channeling Don] Ok, enough sarcasm for now...

Quote Originally Posted by jr_rodriguez View Post

[Channeling Don]: But Rooz, the D5100 won't have anti-shake technology in the body like Sony cameras do![/End of Channeling Don] Ok, enough sarcasm for now...
    lol...unfortunately for me and my arguments about inbody IS, the anti shake would have been a much appreciated addition to the d5100 cos i will be using it alot for video with a 50/1.4. I couldnt give a rats about inbody IS for photography but for video i get the impression im going to suffer unless i use a stabilised lens. IS is far more important for moving pictures than it is for still shots.

Still, i cant wait to get it. I have been waiting for this camera spec for a couple of years. Nikon delivered albeit taking their sweet time. lol
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Thumbs down Adding no value ...

@ 'Rooz', just in case it may have slipped your notice, there's been this earthquake/flood/radiation issue that the Japanese have had to deal with. It put a nasty hick-up in their giddy-up, so I would not be too hard on 'em.

@ 'J.R.' : Hey, [channeling Minolta]this in-the-body stabilization is hot snot, huh?[/channel]

To be clear, I did not say the Full Frame image was better ... all I said was it was BIGGER. You can get ALL of the lens image circle to work for you, it puts it ALL on the little bitty memory card, then you can print it or upload it ... and share it with all your friends and the entire world.

God bless us all. Stop the nonsense. You demean the discussion with the implications.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-11-2011 at 06:23 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Okay, here's a visual exercise for you. Cut the center 2/3rds of a picture out of a magazine. Did it get any bigger? Sorry, it's the same with the "crop" sensor --> Same lens, you just have LESS image to work with because there wasn't any surrounding sensor there to claim it. .
    Haha, great explanation! I think the other thing to stress about FF is the improvement in bokeh; for the same shot (both composed the same), the togger is closer to the subject on FF and so the depth of field is shallower and so the bokeh is nicer. [hurls crop sensor vs. ff grenade and dives for cover\]
    To help you appreciate your own photography... compare it to mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky83/

Oh yeah, and reason for clicking through was to sing the praises of the minolta 85 1.4, but it looks like the OP is old news....
    To help you appreciate your own photography... compare it to mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky83/

Okay... I got a little more time with my SIGMA 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM and found it backfocusing by an micro adjust setting of -3. Unfortunately, that requires a return of the lens... and makes it kind of a pain. Otherwise, this lens is an awesome selection, if you do not want to pay SONY/Ziess prices. The more SIGMA steps up, the better for the SONY user.

Personally, I really would like to see the SIGMA 85mm and the 120-300mm f/2.8 DG HSM with the USB-focus adjust produced in the SONY mount. For some reason, SIGMA does not take the SONY-line seriously. I mean, SONY has now been around for nearly ten years. Excuse my French, but WTF does it take? I have to add that it really does concern me. I have actually lost sleep over their reservation. Can you imagine?

The new SIGMA 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM is definitely a spear through the heart of the SONY 35mm f/1.4 G lens.

Anyway... I just wanted to get that out there, in case someone is considering the 85mm as an alternative. Backfocus seems to still be an issue with SIGMA. It was significantly worse from 2007-2010.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 06-14-2013 at 02:22 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi