Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 85mm round up

WHAT! LOL ... well, I am glad it was jolly well worth the exchange to someone.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Always, that's why I post in this forum because you guys are always teaching me something new everyday.

I'm still really new in the DSLR department, with all the terminology, lens's and everything so anything you guys tell me I try to take the best I can and learn off of it

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    And why would you need to know.
    For those of use who spent years with FF (Full Frame) film cameras, the coming of digital crop cameras meant that our perception of focal length had to change.
    lol very well put. i had never thought of it like that but you are totally right. i remember i was doing that 1.5x thing all the time. seems so stupid now.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

Well, if you are straddling the FF and APS-C ... guess it matters not ... as WYSIWYG rules the roost. There is the DOF issue, but we won't mention that, because of harming the children, right? Your guys are watching too much royalty action.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Well, if you are straddling the FF and APS-C ... guess it matters not ... as WYSIWYG rules the roost. There is the DOF issue, but we won't mention that, because of harming the children, right? Your guys are watching too much royalty action.
    its not really an issue. and even high iso isnt that much of a problem nowadays. there are some benefits of FF dotn get me wrong, i love it, but its not as significant as some make out and the focal length thing in particular is a non-issue.
    D800e l V3 l AW1 l 16-35 l 35 l 50 l 85 l 105 l EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75
    flickr

When APS-C simply sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
    its not really an issue. and even high iso isnt that much of a problem nowadays. There are some benefits of FF don't get me wrong, I love it, but its not as significant as some make out and the focal length thing in particular is a non-issue.

I'll try to recall that when I take a fine 14mm Rectilinear lens and slap it on the APS-C ... and say the magic words, "Now, remember, you WERE a WIDE ANGLE, once." and then dance off to take my effectively 21mm shots.

The whole secret to using APS-C ... step back .. then step back, again. It'll fit.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-10-2011 at 11:34 AM.

flickr & Sdi

I'll try to recall that when I take a fine 14mm Rectilinear lens and slap it on the APS-C ... and say the magic words, "Now, remember, you WERE a WIDE ANGLE, once." and then dance off to take my effectively 21mm shots.

The whole secret to using APS-C ... step back .. then step back, again. It'll fit.
    Sure, if you like ultrawide then fx is the way to go. Not that big a deal to most. Besides which this is offset at the other end where your 300mm is showing a 450mm magnification.
    flickr

But that 1.5x crop magnification only holds true if the APS-C has the same number of megapixels which is clearly not the case with any Sony model.
    The 12MP A700 has no advantage over the A900. A similar image can be cropped from the A900 image.
    The 16MP A580 has some advantage over the A900 a 300mm will appear to be 360mm (very roughly, can't be bothered to do the math).

Question Why would you want to confuse the issue?

You know, 'Rooz' ...in Photoshop, you really need to shoot images from both kinds of cameras (FF & APS-C) using a standard 50mm f/1.4 PRIME lens on each camera and do a good ol' side-by-side. You will note that the Full Frame image has everything (same level of detail and all) as the APS-C image does ... and a whole lot more. To be more clear ... we can print the result as big as you want ... I will cut out my Full Frame shot to your same size APS-C image ... and pixel for pixel ... it is a match, only I have a whole look more picture in the scrap I just trimmed off to get to your size shot. I did not get a 75mm shot ... I got 2/3rds as what remained of a 50mm-shot.

Read this, because it is salient to the entire argument:

Full Frame is everything the APS-C image is ... AND A WHOLE LOT MORE! There is no "magnification" from an APS-C sensor ... you just get less of the lens' image circle. (<- click on link for an illustrated explanation)

Check again, you seem to be thinking "small" and it galls me to ask, but are you actually reading the information in these threads ... or just having a good ol' poke session at yours truly?

"Magnification" ... as if.

Okay, here's a visual exercise for you. Cut the center 2/3rds of a picture out of a magazine. Did it get any bigger? Sorry, it's the same with the "crop" sensor --> Same lens, you just have LESS image to work with because there wasn't any surrounding sensor there to claim it. The lens' image circle was there ... unfortunately, the camera's sensor wasn't.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-10-2011 at 07:29 PM.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    But that 1.5x crop magnification only holds true if the APS-C has the same number of megapixels which is clearly not the case with any Sony model.
    The 12MP A700 has no advantage over the A900. A similar image can be cropped from the A900 image.
    The 16MP A580 has some advantage over the A900 a 300mm will appear to be 360mm (very roughly, can't be bothered to do the math).
    yes on sony you are correct peter. sorry, i;m thinking 12mp FX nikons. we haven't quite caught up yet unless you take a second mortgage on a d3x.

You know, 'Rooz' ...in Photoshop, you really need to shoot images from both kinds of cameras (FF & APS-C) using a standard 50mm f/1.4 PRIME lens on each camera and do a good ol' side-by-side. You will note that the Full Frame image has everything (same level of detail and all) as the APS-C image does ... and a whole lot more. To be more clear ... we can print the result as big as you want ... I will cut out my Full Frame shot to your same size APS-C image ... and pixel for pixel ... it is a match, only I have a whole look more picture in the scrap I just trimmed off to get to your size shot. I did not get a 75mm shot ... I got 2/3rds as what remained of a 50mm-shot.

Read this, because it is salient to the entire argument:

Full Frame is everything the APS-C image is ... AND A WHOLE LOT MORE! There is no "magnification" from an APS-C sensor ... you just get less of the lens' image circle. (<- click on link for an illustrated explanation)

Check again, you seem to be thinking "small" and it galls me to ask, but are you actually reading the information in these threads ... or just having a good ol' poke session at yours truly?

"Magnification" ... as if.

Okay, here's a visual exercise for you. Cut the center 2/3rds of a picture out of a magazine. Did it get any bigger? Sorry, it's the same with the "crop" sensor --> Same lens, you just have LESS image to work with because there wasn't any surrounding sensor there to claim it. The lens' image circle was there ... unfortunately, the camera's sensor wasn't.
    bahhhh....a bunch of elitist rubbish but you are right i am yanking your chain a little don lol. guys have been shooting aps-c for years and printing superb quality pics out of them, things didnt change overnight all of a sudden. hell ive done it myself on a d300. as for your comment on IQ...well i'll take delivery of a d5100 within a week. i'll just have to be satisfied with a camera that costs less than half the price of your FF sony and has a full stop more DR. lol
    flickr