Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: 85mm round up

Threaded View

Lightbulb 85mm round up

Okay ... the writing is on the wall.

I have accumulated 4 different ~85mm lens for the SONY. Obviously, each has something about it that is rather unique.

Name:  85mm-round-up-small.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  251.8 KB

Name:  85mm-round-up-2-small.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  242.3 KB

Looking at the full aperture on each respective lens
    and light available to the sensor, I think you can SEE the difference

Name:  85mm-at-full-aperture.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  181.9 KB

The SONY AF 85mm f/2.8 SAM 55 (6.5-oz) is small, easily concealed for its focal length and of reasonable aperture ... and affordability. It gives folks a quick AF-portrait/short-telephoto lens for little cost.

The TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di 1:1 MACRO 55 (14.3-oz) is extremely sharp, just the right length and has a MACRO capability that simply is hard to match. A class leader in that regard, but rather slow to autofocus, so using it that way for any kind of action is ... prohibitive.

The Rokinon MF 85mm f/1.4 72 (17.5-oz)is a terrific portrait lens, and due to its extreme wide aperture, allows for a bokeh that simply cannot be achieved by the prior two lenses. The drawback is that is must be used in Manual mode (or "Crippled A" mode, if available) ... and manually focused. In the studio, that will be a small, but tolerable annoyance for its $269 cost.

The SIGMA AF 85mm f/1.4 DG EX HSM 77 (25.6-oz) is an equally great bokeh providing lens, with its f/1.4 aperture. It has the added autofocus feature, but it tacks on another $600 to give it to you. It can be used in all modes of the camera and is the all-around winner, in my opinion, for general use.

The SONY CZ 85mm f/1.4 72 (19-oz) is the most expensive of the bunch (not pictured here). For its $1369 price tag, the true "buy back" is substantially reduced, as the preformance gulf between the image produced with the SIGMA and that of the Zeiss is too "unremarkable" to debate. I do not think seeing Zeiss stamped on your lens is going make that much difference in the long run. You can do a heck of a lot for another $500 in pocket or with another focal length lens. But then again, for those who simply must have the company logo on your lenses, that baby is waiting for you - cha-ching!
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-08-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi