Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got a new lens!

Switch, I absolutely was and I apologise.
    That's what you get for not reading a post properly and making assumptions. Most people here seem to buy the Tamron as an alternative to the expensive Sony.
    I'm not sure anyone if anyone else here has the Sigma and I know little of this lens except that a good copy performs pretty well.

What I do know is that Sigma QC is notorious and abominable and you are lucky if you get a perfect lens out of the box.
    You should definitely spend a bit of time testing your lens to be sure it's a good copy.
    Go here for an insight into what you should be doing. This guy really knows his stuff.

Have a look at this review by the well respected Kurt Munger!

You've spent a lot of hard earned on the lens so you want to be sure it's right.

So do you think i should do that battery test that Don posted to see if the focusing is up to par?

I am firmly in the "go out and shoot with the lens" a lot camp. When you first get it go out and shoot stuff, lots of stuff, different situations, contrast, lighting, etc. Get some photographs, that's what we do, right? Then download the photos to your computer (what fun, my favorite part!!) and take a look at what you've got. Look for consistent inconsistencies. Back focus, Front focus, blurry corners or blurry area, vignetting, softness wide open, chromatic aberrations, etc. If in all of this you discover something that is repeating itself, a closer look is warranted. The article Peek links to is excellent and gives many methods of checking various problems with a lens. But again, first go out and take photos!
    Last edited by TenD; 05-09-2011 at 09:34 PM.
    A good photograph is knowing where to stand.
    Ansel Adams

Rule books are paper, they will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal.
    Ernest K. Gann-Fate is the Hunter.

Yes, I wouldn't argue with what TenD says. After all the lens is guaranteed for a year I expect.

The battery test will tell you if you have a F/B focus issue but won't tell you if it's the lens or camera. More likely to be the camera.

Well thats what i plan to do, take alot of photos!

I am sorry to have cast any doubt about the quality of your new lens.

It's all good, I was just making sure that everyone knew it was the Sigma and not the Tamron.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I have found the best so far to be the Black Rapid and the SpiderPro System. I use the SpiderPro (with hand strap) when I'm going to be out most of the day and often use the black Rapid in addition to carry a bag with spare lens.
    +1 for the spider pro from me. As you said Peekayoh, can carry a gripped A900 with a 70-200 happily all day using the spider pro. I actually spent a day in London Zoo with that and the other A900 with 17-35 KM around my neck. Swapping between the two was effortless, but the neck did start to ache after a bit. Fortunately the SpiderPro guys have just released a two camera system and also provided an upgrade kit for anyone who already bought the one cam kit. Mine's in the post and looking forward to using it. Was a bit daunting at first not having a strap as a back up should I drop the thing but after a while you get used to it and realise you never drop these things (ok, I did once, but never again).
    To help you appreciate your own photography... compare it to mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky83/

Well, I added an RS-7 to my last batch of toys. Probably will not try it out until the weekend. I ordered the Manfrotto RC2 screw replacement as well. The standard Manfrotto seems too tight to easily pull up for clipping in the carabiner. Not sure I like the too floppy BlackRapid replacement from an annoying noise perspective since I do not expect to use the RS-7 all the time. Also, the locking carabiner on the RS-7 is far too fiddly to quickly use the tripod. Has anyone experimented with a different carabiner? I know I would want a locking one, but there are too many turns to lock/unlock the default one.