Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a new lens!

Interesting products Peekayoh; I do not use a camera strap as I find it gets in the way and I wonder if this would be any better?

I have seen you photos on your other thread and liked the squirrel and Chetah best. I did read a review of the lens ( it could have been an older version ) and the reviewer had problems with front focussing and slightly different focussing on one side of the sensor to the other. It will be interesting to see what you find with the lens.

Yesterday when I was at the Zoo I stayed for about 3 hours or so and wearing the Black Rapid RS-7 shoulder strap I never once felt the weight of the camera/lens combo.

It keeps all the weight at either your side or your hip (adjustable) with the lens facing behind you so that when you need to take the shot it pulls seamlessly up to your eye.

Also the strap it very comfortable, i never got irritated by it the whole time i was wearing it.

I recommend everyone who is going to be shooting for at least a couple of hours to try one out, and the price wasn't that bad either 60 dollars.

Thanks for the info; the RS-7 here is around 55-60 + postage on ebay but I could get it for as little as 7.70 + postage from China! I do not think I would be happy hanging my camera off a product that only cost 7.70

I think the reason I never use a camera strap is the camera is that much higher up your body, but as you say with this sort of strap it should swing out of the way.

Another thing to add to my wish list after a telephoto zoom and tripod.

There is a link from the sun sniper site to a DIY strap for 99c; but I would not want to have a dslr hanging off it!
    http://www.lighting-academy.com/inde...mera_strap&L=1
    Last edited by Anthony; 05-08-2011 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Added final paragraph

The RS-7 is somewhat of that same concept except that it's not crappy. I really like how it mounts on the camera, it comes with a mount that screws right into the tripod mount so it's very secure. My new sigma lens comes with a tripod ring mount so I screwed it right into there.

And as for a tripod I got one that came with a pistel grip head and reaches 60.5 inches maximum hight for only 50 dollars

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._w_Pistol.html

And if you haven't seen this website they have everything you would ever need!

I had always discounted using slings like the BlackRapid as I did not know they could be tripod compatible. Since I use the Manfrotto RC2 plates I might give it a second look.

Yeah here is the link for that add on

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fr-t1/

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Interesting products Peekayoh; I do not use a camera strap as I find it gets in the way and I wonder if this would be any better?
    Anthony, I too dislike the camera straps that come with the camera and always use a hand strap but for extended use that can be a bit wearing. I have tried many solutions but I have found the best so far to be the Black Rapid and the SpiderPro System. I use the SpiderPro (with hand strap) when I'm going to be out most of the day and often use the black Rapid in addition to carry a bag with spare lens.

The SpiderPro puts all the weight around the hips and you hardly notice the weight and this really does away with the dilemma when deciding which lens to take along with my A900. The combined weight with Minolta 28-135mm f/4-4.5 is 3.5lbs and with the Minolta 80-200mm f/2.8 a not insubstantial 4.7lbs. Whew!

Switch, it's good to hear your first impression of the BR strap is positive and your comments pretty much echo mine.

Down side? Nothing good comes cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    I have seen you photos on your other thread and liked the squirrel and Chetah best. I did read a review of the lens ( it could have been an older version ) and the reviewer had problems with front focussing and slightly different focussing on one side of the sensor to the other. It will be interesting to see what you find with the lens.
    This is Switchblade's new lens of course and I was reluctant to bring up that issue and put a damper on things. The Tamron is certainly known for having some difficulty in locking focus mainly in low light. The lens has a pronounced curvature of the focus plane particularly in the mid range and I think that QC issues in centering explain the side to side discrepancies in focus. All in all though, I think the lens represents good value for money but may need a trip back to Tamron for adjustment under warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    .............. I really like how it mounts on the camera, it comes with a mount that screws right into the tripod mount so it's very secure.......
    A tip. Wet the black composite washer before screwing it in for a tighter fit. You should also check from time to time that the bolt is still secure, although mine has never come loose so far.

Quote Originally Posted by kgosden View Post
    I had always discounted using slings like the BlackRapid as I did not know they could be tripod compatible. Since I use the Manfrotto RC2 plates I might give it a second look.
    I have found the existing hook on the RC2 plate to be adequate for hanging onto the BR carabiner with the lighter lenses but the new BR fastener is a much better alternative. Perhaps my e-mail to them had something to do with it, who knows.

Peekayoh- are you talking about the Sigma lens that I just got because you said Tamron.

And I haven't had any focusing issues so far, and I've takin about 150 or so shots so far