Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    That's good, what filters do you use?

I wish the Zoo by me had any kind of bears. I Guess I need to find a better Zoo.
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

'Switch', my entire gear list is "linked" on my signature, below. You can glean almost everything you would want to know, short of part number and full blown description, there. Look for "Standard screw-on lens filters"

Heck, even my wish list is on there ... and it needs an updating, too, ... for the bank loan.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

I know iv'e look at your gear list a couple times and theres a sh*t ton of filters on there. I didn't know if you had a couple picked out for certain things.
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by DonSchap View Post
    Sorry, as a flagrant consumer of things photographic, I demand a better QC ... and so should you, despite your silly and disappointing protestations to the contrary. You want let them off the hook. See ya. It is not going to happen with this guy.
    *sigh*
    I don't want to "let them off the hook". Perfection CANNOT be attained in ANYTHING created by mankind. We can get pretty close, but there's something called the "law of diminishing returns" (l'm sure you've heard of it).
    It would be really expensive to get as close to perfection as possible, and someone has to pay for that (at least in our capitalistic system). You don't seem to want to pay for it, yet expect it like it's your birth-given right. It's like you want the precision of an caesium based atomic clock, but only want to pay for a Casio wrist watch. Who will pay the difference?
    I'm sure you'll disagree in any case, but I think everyone else sees the trade-off. Would I like all of my equipment to be perfect? Sure. But I know it would cost a heck of a lot more money, and I'd have to find another hobby. And I rather like this one

Thumbs up Putting the "edge" in your photography

Having your camera achieve a "sharp", clear focus is not asking that much. I mean, the TAMRON SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO does it, admittedly a little slower, but you could literally cut yourself on the razor sharp clarity, compared to anything else. I shot the SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II MACRO LD (IF) several times and every single time, it failed to get what I would determine to be a reasonably sharp focus, at "0" on the a850 or just placed on the a700. That is not reasonable and has to be addressed. It's off ... and needs the tweak.

Obviously, it you need to read newspaper print from terrestrial orbit, well the 90mm f/2.8 Di would not cut it, either. We are talking about a distance of four to five feet. That's it. No monstrously huge gulf of space, just a normal in-the-room shot ... and it is not sharp. It has to be addressed. New lenses should not be this ... well, let's just say that even my old lenses do the job better than that and ... cost half the price.

Again, I contend it is a failure on the part of the QC inspection process. You might say these lens are at the point of acceptable bench-level operation standards ... which only means, they were built correctly and close enough to now move on to "final adjustment." The final adjustment is where the lens becomes useable to the customer, not off the bench.

It is similar to a craftsman making a fine sword. It is a sword after he is finished pounding, tempering and buffing it to brilliance, but until it has they hone that fine edge to it, it just doesn't cut it. This lens is not "honed", so it back to get its necessary fine edge.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    I know iv'e look at your gear list a couple times and theres a sh*t ton of filters on there. I didn't know if you had a couple picked out for certain things.
    The ones at the bottom of the list are the ones that are mounted on various lenses. They do move from lens to lens, to kind of keep the costs down.

The Cokin filters are a "creative system" that I originally acquired for the 35mm-film cameras. Now, a lot of what these "creative" filters can do is available in post-production (with software). When it comes to polarizing, though, that has to take place BEFORE the image gets to the sensor and a cheap polarizer can really screw up the autofocus of a fine lens.

They kind of go hand in hand. If you have a cheaper lens, you can get away with a cheaper polarizer. Not too cheap, but it can be cost cutting idea. But when you start buying higher quality lenses ... you MUST get a better level of polarizer filter. Believe me when I tell you that like many others, we have tried to get by with what we already had on our lower level glass ... and you immediately notice the focus is no longer crisp. You remove the cheaper polarizer and the lens works great. You put it back on ... and it is compromised. Solution: Buy a better polarizer (pro-level) and the issue disappears. It is the nature of the bea$t.

BTW: Lost the zoo shots to the weather. It rained all night ... and into the morning, with spotty showers. The humidity is ghastly and there is a cloud bank almost ground-level throughout Chicago. There is always next week ... M-W looks good ... cool and, most of all, dry.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-12-2011 at 10:43 AM.

flickr & Sdi

It hasent rained here in FL for a while now. I hate this heat. Its like 98 degrees F out right now and not even into summer yet

Flickr

Unhappy Still waiting ...

Yep, it's been a week... seems like longer. I have been doing some looks around the web for products from this lens and I am just not seeing much.

Well, guess that means "opportunity."

Now, if I only had the lens.

flickr & Sdi

Okay, I must declare that TAMRON is really good about these rebates ... I have the check. It arrived yesterday (5/24/2011).

Still, no lens and no word on its condition. I know most of you could probably care less what is wrong with it, but I would like a detailed report just to hear what they discovered and what they did to correct it. "Aligned and adjusted" does not tell me a whole lot. The detailed procedure for doing just that does sound quite interesting, though.

flickr & Sdi

It's back...

I spent a few minutes with the returned 60mm f/2 Di-II MACRO and have found it not nearly as sharp as the 90mm f/2.8 Di MACRO. Stopped down to f/4 does help, but that reduces that f/2 advantage.

As it stands, understanding the limitations of the lens will make using it a little easier and reliable.

I have to wonder if is it "aligned", I have some improvement in the resolution, but it still is not that of the 90mm f/2.8 Di. The focus is still -6 on micro adjust on the α850 w/ Micro-Adjust @ 0, and seems somewhat okay on the α700. You know what that means... it may still need to adjusted.

I snuck up on this "D" cell battery and clicked off a couple comparison shots, with the same properties in each camera (1/60th, f/2, ISO-800, CS=Standard, WB=Fluorescent +/-0, SSS='on", handheld). The α850 was, of course, in crop mode for this Di-II (APS-C only) lens. I also was looking for the DOF of this wider aperture on the battery's curved and tubular surface. It brings both aspects of depth and focus into play and it looks impressive.

α850

Name:  _DSC8410-a850-w-60.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  483.9 KB

α700

Name:  DSC02266-a700-w-60.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  444.2 KB

Here are the 100% crops

α850
    Name:  _DSC8410-crop-100.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  99.0 KB

α700
    Name:  DSC02266-crop-100.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  207.7 KB

After this, I am definitely appreciating the α850 sensor. Wow. Colors appear more robust, even with Creative Style set to "Standard." The stabilization seems more pronounced, which is important when doing close-up MACRO. You may not get another click out of your subject... it has to be there.

Oh, the M.F.D.: ~ 6-inches

Overall, for its diminutive size, I still am pretty satisfied with it. I imagine it would be dynamite on the α580. Because I can only use it in APS-C capture mode, it is still too long (eff. 90mm) to replace the SONY AF 50mm f/1.4 on my full frame bag. That "Alkaline Battery" label really pops.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 05-27-2011 at 06:51 PM.

flickr & Sdi