Well, good luck with that, Don.

Rooz, to demonstrate I'm not being idiosynchratic in my view, I had a quick trawl and here's what Tom Hogan said in a review of your lens

"The focus limiting (second switch) isn't exactly what I want. I'd prefer a three-way option that also allowed me hold focus only in the "macro zone." In practice, I didn't find this to be limiting (pardon the pun), but still, I think there was a minor focus performance gain to be had that Nikon ignored. I suspect that Nikon simply thinks that you should use manual focus for macro."

And a comment by Ken Rockwell, also from a review of the lens.

"My biggest concern is that it's very hard to get precise macro framing because the image size changes greatly (breathes) while focusing. You need to use AF-C and move yourself in and out to frame. You can't move yourself and then focus, because the image size changes so much that you can't frame unless you're in focus. This may seem silly, but it's a critical issue for macro use, and a big pain when you focus manually as most macro shooters do."

Again, I'm just stating how I (and most others AFAIK) approach a Macro shot but, as always, there's more than one way to skin a cat and at the end of the day, it's whatever works for you.