Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Thread: Sigma Vs. Sony

Sigma Vs. Sony

Ok so i was searching around for a comparable lens for the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 CLICK HERE and i think i found something (at least the reviews say its awesome). The Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF CLICK HERE

Have you guys heard anything about this lens or used if for yourself?
    Last edited by Switchblade906; 04-26-2011 at 05:25 PM.

I know its not the 70-300mm like i was looking into before but i will sacrifice the little bit of range to have the constant f/2.8

That Sigma lens has been around in various guises for many years and is generally regarded as a reasonable cheap alternative to the Nikon or Canon equivalent offerings.
    Go to any lens review site on the Internet and you will find tests of the lens in one form or another and most likely huge numbers of owner reviews.

So does anyone know if this Sigma lens is a "Good" alternative to the Sony? Ive read many reviews but i want to know from you guys what you think.

Yes I was looking for a "good" alternative as well. I know some people are willing to sacrifice the issue but unfortunately I would like to see what my other options are. Please keep us posted if you find one. Thanks.

I bought the Sigma lens and have not been disappointed at all
    Sony A33 | Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM | Sony 30mm f/2.8 DT AF Macro | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD

Flickr

I was in the same boat about a year ago and as i found with tripods, the only way to decide is to buy all the options, have them in your possession and then return the ones you don't want. For me it was a test between the sigma and tamron variants. All reviews highlight the sigma's great (and quiet) focusing and the tamron's great image quality (IQ). I didn't actually have any problems with the tamron's focusing on the body I was using at the time (A700) which drives the focus faster than the cannikon alternates. So initially I stuck with the tamron, but after one family party I found the tamron intensely frustrating with many many missed shots as the tamron hunted for focus. When it found it they were great shots, but I'd rather get every shot I wanted and take a slight knock on IQ. Anyway, at that time I then sold on the tamron and picked up a sigma and it was much better. Really enjoyed using it.

That was up until I found a Sony 70-200 for 900 on ebay and snapped it up. It does have the best of both worlds and at 900 vs. 700 (sigma) I could only recommend the sony. But at normal retail of 1500 vs. 700 then the Sigma is definitely my recommendation; the Sony is better, but 800 is a big difference!
    To help you appreciate your own photography... compare it to mine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tricky83/