Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Getting your camera cleaned?

I just got back from vacation and noticed a lot of "dots" on my photos. I checked my lenses, after a evening at the beach watching the sun set it definately had some spots. Cleaned it but still noticed some marks. So I don't know if it is inside the camera.
    I have a 50D. Thanks

Spinning - Cleaning your own sensor is very easy. Actually, you are cleaning the high pass filter and not the sensor itself. I know people have performed this cleaning with everything from windex and q-tips to tape. I certainly don't recommend those methods but just to make the point that it is easier and safer than many would have you believe. I suggest you check out the following website to learn about the various leaning products and methods - http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/index.html

I have never had much luck with dry cleaning methods like blowers and the arctic butterfly, etc. These methods are good for a lot of particles but they will not remove bonded particles like pollen, etc. Wet methods generally provide much better results. You could also bring your camera to a local shop if you are not confident about cleaning it yourself. Most places offer a cleaning service at reasonable cost. Let us know how it goes.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I forgot to mention my favorite cleaning product, sensor-film. It is easy to use and I've never been dissatisfied with the results on the first pass. One bottle will probably last a lifetime too. This is a water-based product so in theory it will not remove particles that will not dissolve in water but I have never seen this happen is practice. You could always do an additional spot cleaning with an alcohol-based product if it were to happen though.

http://www.sensor-film.com/

Try a simpler and safer hand rocket first. If that doesn't work then go to BBPhoto's suggestions. You should carefully read and follow your camera instruction book on how to open up the high pass filter. It's hard to damage anything unless you are as clumpsy as an ox.

Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

An interesting product BBPhoto

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    An interesting product BBPhoto
    Yes it is. I've found that it does a better job than sensor swabs and other similar methods. The swabs always leave particles behind and with the sensor-film there is actually very little friction/pressure vs. the swabs.

Quote Originally Posted by BBPhoto View Post
    ...The swabs always leave particles behind ....
    I thought it was only me. I clean a few dots of dirt and end up with a few dots of dirt elsewhere on the sensor.
    Nikon D90, D80
    Nikkor 16-85mm AF-S DX F/3.5-5.6G ED VR, Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) macro, Nikkor 50mm F/1.4D, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8D, Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm F/4.5-5.6G IF-ED, Sigma 105mm F/2.8 EX DG Macro ||| 2x SB800 | SB600 ||| Manfrotto 190XB

Quote Originally Posted by tim11 View Post
    I thought it was only me. I clean a few dots of dirt and end up with a few dots of dirt elsewhere on the sensor.
    Nope. Definitely not just you. I was never really happy with the way the swabs cleaned so I mostly use the sensor-film now. I keep a few swabs on hand if I encounter particles stuck to the filter that are not water-soluble and then do a once over with the sensor-film again to clean up what the swabs left behind.