Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

7D sports shots settings

Hi All. Have been using an Xti and am renting a 7D and 70-200 2.8IS II for a week from borrowlenses for 4 baseball games and will be taking many, many picts. No way to do RAW. Anyone have preferred setting for the JPEGs so they look great and pop right out of the camera? I am doing it for all the parents and really want them to look their best and have punch without any post processing and have to go right to the 1st game from picking the camera up. Thanks!

I shoot a lot of sports, nature and travel with the 7D. I can't imagine any settings that would make me choose JPEG over RAW nor would I be satisfied with any image right out of the camera. Any JPEG or RAW image will require some scrutinizing and post-processing. It is just part of the digital work-flow. That being said if you want to get the best pictures possible from the camera be they JPEG or RAW, just follow sound practices. First and foremost, expose properly. As for the rest of settings, take some test shots before the shoot and decide what works best for you.
    The respect of those you respect is greater than the applause of the multitude.

I purchased 7D 2 months ago and after taking some bad pics of my little ones on a trampoline I decided I better see if the camera or the shooter was to blame. Of course it was me. I googled some tutorials on canon 7D autofocus and it turns out it was alot different from my 30 D. After some trials I have been using shutter priority, auto iso and AF point expansion with good action pic results. AF point expansion is forgiving enough so if you "miss" your target you are still likely to get usable pics. You can use with any of the AF modes (one shot,AI servo, AI focus). I had also read that do to increased pixels you should consider increasing your shutter speed beyond what you might usually use. I have done well in the 1/1000 - 1/2000 range outdoors. As the above response says - take some test shots - best way to judge - and the beauty of digital! I am an enthusiast at best and I am sure there are many more learned than I about these matters - just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the input. Would rather shoot RAW but no way with 1000's of pictures. Will just test portrait and some custom settings. Definitely going to keep it at 1/1000 or higher (love 2.8 glass!) so I can get the bat on the ball and I already brushed up on the focus point expansion and turning it into moveable clusters. That will be a lifesaver.

How did you like renting your lens? I have debated about doing that for a few events I would like more reach and to try a few lenses.

I do something similar in the summer for our swim and dive league. I take so many pictures so I do understand the need not to want to edit when shooting raw. I can't believe I am about to say this, but when taking dive photos, RAW is so much better and the editing really isn't that bad. It goes rather quickly. I do a few little things turn it to Jpeg and then up load to a shared site, I figure they can do more editing such as cropping. I fought the RAW work for a long long time. But for certain sports it does make a difference. Now when it is a swim meet I still shoot in Jpeg. I will shoot raw when I am shooting my own kids.

Shoot in RAW and do batch conversions... You can dump them later. I'm shooting over 1000 images for each wedding and all are in RAW.
    Anyway it's hard to get that pop up shots without post processing unless you really spot on knowing what you are doing. There can be no fixed setting for any given type of photography since you have different light and circumstances. You should try sport mode and see if that works for you though. I do soccer shots and always use A mode. I should try S mode (Tv for Canon speak) one of these days.

Regardless of what mode you are shooting I suggest you put on burst mode for sport shooting, then you will have a few poses to choose from each snap, select the best and dump the rest. It will be more tedious at the selection point but there is no short cut to getting the best possible.
    Don't be tempted to go berserk on burst though, you still have to take care, compose carefully and choose the right moment to press the shutter.

Shoot RAW, take the images into Lightroom, tag the keepers and only work on them, apply changes to batches of images as the lighting and direction of shot relative to the sun changes then export to jpeg. I find it difficult to believe that you will have "1000's" of decent photos for only 4 baseball games. You may take 1000's but I bet in 10 minutes anybody viewing them in LR or any other decent image processing program will delete more than half probably more like 80% leaving you relatively few good photos to actually process. I'm sure the parents will appreciate 50 good shots from each game better than 300 crap ones.
    I regularly take 1000+ photos a weekend during Soccer season and it would take no more than a hour to select the usable images and process them to an acceptable standard. We are talking sports action photos not works of art here.

K1W1: Now that you mentioned it I also would like to share my experience of the success rate I have on my sport shots. For each of my sons' Under 9 and Under 11 game, in about one hour, I come up with 40 to 70 shots that I decide to keep; and only one or two that I accept as favourite. That's from between 150-200 shots.
    Last year I used to shoot more (and deleted more) but this year I am more selective over when I decide to press the shutter.

great , EOS 7D, i wish i can afford it .