Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Any update on the equipment?

Switch, I know it seems longer but Sony have had my kit for, effectively, one working day.
    I logged the kit in on-line on the 19th and the Service Centre got it together with the paperwork on the 20th.
    The 22nd to the 25th are Easter Bank Holidays.
    on the 20th I had the following e-mail from Sony....

"We have your camera and lens in for repair at Sony Central Service but we will need a payment of 117.00 each to proceed with the repair. The total cost is 234.00.
    We take debit and credit card over the phone or by cheque to our Pencoed address payable to Sony Europe.
    We can be contacted on 08702 408060 qouting the job numbers above.
    Regards
    Christine
    SONY"

I think it reasonable to expect an update by working day 4/5 maybe. Or is it? I don't really know and it depends on their workload.

Lightbulb Image downtime

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    I think it reasonable to expect an update by working day 4/5 maybe. Or is it? I don't really know and it depends on their workload.
    Considering Sean's situation, where his camera could not even be replaced with another α700, this is good news. Can you imagine? I remember kissing off my α700, when it was off being repaired for the infamous "thumbwheel" issue. It took three attempts during the Christmas holidays to get that corrected. After that, there seemed to be a flood of those failures. That may have been a major contribution to the α700's early grave.

Anyway, Sean wound up with an α580, but still ... incredibly inconvenient.

I hope this moves rapidly for you, Peter. Image downtime is usually not the plan for any of us. It is nice to have a fallback camera when you have a lot of glass to support.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Well i hope its gets done quick, and that your insurance company will reimburse you.

Update on my repair at the Sony Service Centre.
    6 working days after Sony received the camera and lens I have a quote for the repairs.
    The A900 is covered in the standard charge of 117GBP although I don't know any details just that it's been put back together and is with QC.
    The SAL135Z which got the worst of it will come to a total of 252GBP and they want authority to go ahead.
    There is a slight complication as my Insurers are asking for a sight of the items.

Insurers are asking for a sight of the items

It might be a good idea to keep on hand a layout of equipment in its undamaged state, and whenever there is damage, take a series of shots of the damage (assuming it is externally visable) with your backup rig.

Unfortunately, much of the damage to equipment like this is often internal.

You would think the insurance company would accept the assessment of the factory repair facility.
    A350, A200
    Tamron 70-200 SP AF DI-LD 77mm, Tamron 70-300 58mm, Minolta AF 50, Minolta AF 100 55mm, Sigma 20-70 52mm, Tamron 200-400 77mm, Tamron 28-300 XR DI-LD 62mm, Tamron 28-80 58mm, Minolta AF 70-210 55mm, Tamron 1.4 teleconverter, Sony 75-300 55mm, Sony 18-70 55mm, Sigma EF 530 flash, Canon S3.
    Go Beavs!

You might think that, Panda Bear, but you know what bureaucrats are like. Anyway, I pretty well have it sorted but it all got a bit complicated.

I initially rang AXA (the big UK Insurer who handles my Household Policy) to register the claim and I told the operative that I would be dropping the gear off at Sony Central Service; I think I mentioned that the Centre is a short hop down the Motorway from where I live.

I then registered the items on-line with Sony for repair after which I rang the Repair Centre and they gave me an appointment to take the gear in.

A day or later I had a letter from AXA to say that BeValued (a firm of Assessors) would be handling the claim on their behalf and a day or so later a letter came from BeValued which was when the trouble started. I told them on the telephone that Sony had the gear and were going to give me a quote; the guy said that they had to see the gear to assess the damage and decide how to proceed and if it were repairable they would do it themselves. You can imagine that I was a bit taken aback but the guy was adamant that that had to happen. I was getting nowhere so I said I would contact them again when I had the quote.

Armed with the quote I rang again and got the same answer but I was equally adamant that no one but Sony would be touching any of my gear. I asked them if they were an authorised Sony repairer; that threw them and after a bit of argy bargy I was passed up the line to a Supervisor who said they would ring back. Hah! After another day of delays and more calls I eventually spoke to a sensible chap who had a good laugh and said that no way would they themselves repair that quality of camera and would in fact do exactly what I had already done, send it to Sony and that I had in effect saved them two lots of carriage. He said ring AXA and tell them what had transpired mentioning his name. I did and the girl said they would ring me back and I though, more b***** delay. Anyway someone eventually rang and said "that's ok then, just send us the quotes".

Which is where I am now but just too late to authorise Sony to carry on with the repair.

But we are back on track!

So you have been taking photos, do you have your gear back yet?

No, not yet, although the Service Centre has confirmed that the camera is ready. I think they were holding back to send both items together but with the Insurance delay I'll tell them I want the camera now.

Well that's good, I hope you get the lens back soon too