Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    How much heavier is the A900 compared to the A33?
    A33 + 55-200 = 441 + 305 = 746gms
    A900 + 16-35 = 850 + 900 =1750gms

Quote Originally Posted by SONYNUT View Post
    6x,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Frank, it's a standard Home Insurance policy but you can include Specified items in and away from home for not much additional cost (39GBP).
    I provide a list of all my gear complete with serials to be safe.
    I've yet to make a claim so we'll see how good it turns out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Peekayoh View Post
    A33 + 55-200 = 441 + 305 = 746gms
    A900 + 16-35 = 850 + 900 =1750gms
    so mine is almost 2 pounds (probably over with my new Tamron 24-75 lens) and yours is 4 pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    so mine is almost 2 pounds (probably over with my new Tamron 24-75 lens) and yours is 4 pounds
    About that, Switch ( 1lb 10oz against 3lb 14oz) and you don't want that hanging on a neckstrap all day.

As I said, the Black Rapid strap does a good job but I do prefer the SpyderPro which puts the weight on your hip, albeit with a bit less security when you release it but I also have a handstrap on the camera.

Yeah i see what you mean.

I hope your insurance takes care of the camera and lens for you.

Peter. I am really sorry to hear about your match with Gravity. She's a bear and usually comes out on top
    I know that my A550 with the Minolta 100-200 and the F42AM flash can really be a neck burner on the strap and I usually carry a monopod to ease the pain.
    Also, I have never thought of homeowners insurance covering my equipment. Will have to get the better half to look into this for future protection.
    Good Luck
    Joe Holmes
    Sony α550
    Sony HVL-F42AM Flash
    Sony DT18-55 F3.5-5.6 (Kit Lens)
    Minolta Maxxum 50 1:1.7(22) Prime
    Minolta 35-70 F4 (Mini Beercan)
    Minolta 70-210 F4 (Beercan)
    Minolta 28-135 F4-4.5 (This beast is pretty heavy)
    Minolta Maxxum 100-200 F4.5
    Quantaray D28-90 1:3.5-5.6 Ver 5
    Tamron DiII 55-200 1:4.5-6

You're right Joe, don't mess with mother nature.
    A monopod is an essential piece of kit but doesn't help with easing the burden when carrying a camera and heavy lens. A neck strap puts all the pressure on the neck muscles and spine which is bad.
    IMO, a shoulder strap (or other device) which takes the weight away from the neck is an essential purchase.
    The two devices I mentioned previously, the Black Rapid shoulder strap and the SpyderPro both do this and get the camera down to hip level and lower the COG.
    I happen to use these but there are other makes around which will do the job.
    Comfort is essential and I often see people carrying a camera in hand with the neck strap dangling; I wonder why?

When i have my neck strap on i still hold the camera in my hand cause the strap cuts into my neck, really the only reason i use it is because if it does slip out of my hands or get hit it wont fall to the ground just to my waist.

Ill have to look into one of those sholder staps though.

Thumbs down Gear Down ...

Gosh, Peter ... this all sounds monstrously annoying, to the nth-degree.

Having a BlackRapid strap is definitely the answer for the camera, but for the couple of spare lenses, I would consider adding a waist belt and bag. There are some nice ones out there and it would eliminate any neck problems, while still be somewhat comfortable.

I rarely have more than just the one lens when I am on the run, that being the 24-70mm. Sporting the extra-wide lens would not be that big a tote, with the SIGMA 12-24mm. It's about half the weight of the SONY 16-35mm. Above 70mm ... then your are talking a different consideration. That is where the real weight comes into play, ranging from the relatively light TAMRON 70-200mm f/2.8 43-ounces, to the SONY's 70-200 and 70-400 54-ounces. That extra half-pound can get tedious.

Whatever your weight considerations, I would find a way to avoid having the DSLR off the leash, if at all possible. This is a darn good lesson to all of us. IT CAN HAPPEN! Doggone it. Try to minimize your risk.

Again, my sympathies ... and I hope you get your gear back soon.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Me too Don, me too. And yes, it's b**** annoying. Still, only the second time in 40 odd years so I guess I shouldn't grumble too much.

Out and about, my goto lens is the Minolta 28-135mm f/4-4.5. It's unbeatable in that range IMHO.
    I also carry the ZA 16-35mm f/2.8 for interiors.
    Before the Zeiss, I used to carry a wide angle prime, 21mm Rokkor or Minolta 24mm. I still do on occasion because the 24mm is small enough to slip in a pocket.

If I think I need a longer lens as well, I take either the Minolta 200mm HSG with 1.4x tele or the Sony 70-300 G. In this case I forgo the single lens pouch in favour of the Kata Torso bag which sits comfortably in the small of the back.