Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Hybrid View

looking for budget compact with better shutter lag than Canon Powershot SD1100 IS

I’m looking for a budget compact digital camera with minimal shutter lag...or at least one that is better than the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS (which I THINK is
    .42)

I'm looking into the Casio Exilim EX-Z2000, but I can't find any info on shutter lag. Anyone know what it is? Or at least if it's faster than the Canon Powershot SD1100 IS?

Camera Type

• Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? (Or perhaps you haven't decided yet — that's okay!)
    COMPACT POINT AND SHOOT

• Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital?
    SECOND DIGITAL CAMERA

• Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible?
    LET THE CAMERA DO AS MUCH THINKING AS POSSIBLE

• If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "Χ") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all?
    VERSATILE ZOOM

• What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness?
    COMPACT OR ULTRA COMPACT

Budget

• What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible.
    UNDER $200 (IF POSSIBLE)

• Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!)
    PROBABLY NOT

• How long do you plan on keeping this new camera?
    UNTIL I BREAK IT OR LOSE IT :-s

Usage

• What will you generally use the camera for?
    TAKING PICS OF MOVING OBJECTS (I.E. PETS, KIDS)

• Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away?
    KIDS SOCCER; FROM AS FAR AS THE OPPOSITE END OF FIELD

• Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos?
    YES

• Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 5Χ7") or medium sized (8Χ10"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well?
    WON’T BE MAKING MANY PRINTS, BUT IF SO, THEY WILL BE MOSTLY SMALL, SOME MEDIUM, MOST LIKELY NO LARGE

• Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera?
    MAINLY RIGHT FROM THE CAMERA, BUT WITH SOME POST PROCESSING

Miscellaneous

• Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?
    THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS, IN THIS ORDER, ARE:
    1.SHUTTER LAG (AS LOW AS POSSIBLE)
    2.SIZE (COMPACT OR ULTRA COMPACT)
    3.PRICE (PREFERABLY UNDER $200)

• Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind?
    I'M LOOKING INTO THE CASIO EXILIM EX-Z2000 RIGHT NOW (BUT HAVING TROUBLE FINDING INFO ON SHUTTER LAG.)
    OTHER THAN THAT, AS LONG AS IT FITS THE CRITERIA, I’M NOT TOO PARTICULAR ABOUT BRAND

The problem is that most shutter lag stats are based on good light. In poor light, there really aren't many P&S cameras that will do appreciably better than your SD1100. I'm not sure you're going to see much improvement. The SD1100 isn't a poor performer.

the SD1100 is a pretty bad performer after it's been slammed in a car door....twice. actually, make that a non-performer :'-(

I like the SD1100 except for the shutter lag. I can get the Casio Exilim EX-z2000 for about 1/2 the price, so if it's comparable to the SD1100, I'd rather go that route....you know...just in case it finds its way to the car door again ;-).

How does the z2000 compare to the SD1100 (shutter lag & overall)?

Again, all statistics of shutter lag are in good conditions. In low light, with a moving subject, or with a poor background all those numbers go out the window. I basically divide cameras into three classes; really crappy, P&S, and DSLR. There are a few really crappy models, and everything else are just about equal in their class.

What else are you looking for in a camera? If you're taking pictures from the opposite end of a soccer field you'll need some serious telephoto. The Casio only has a 140mm lens, that won't get you close enough to the action. Have you considered a compact ultrazoom, like the Samsung PL210? Is video important to you at all?

Finally, there are techniques that will help you with missing your shots. Pre-focusing (pushing the shutter button halfway and locking focus on your subject) means that when you're ready for the shot you will eliminate most shutter lag from a P&S. You can also set ISO and white balance to give the camera less to do when it's time to capture the image.