Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

New Camera Desision - Fujifilm

Camera Type

Are you looking for a compact point & shoot camera, a DSLR, or something in between? I am looking for a bridge.

Is this your first camera? First ever, or first digital? Not my first camera.

Are you interested in a high level of control, or would you prefer to let the camera do as much "thinking" as possible? Medium control

If you had to choose, would you prefer a more versatile (large "") zoom lens, or top-notch image quality with no zoom at all? Great quality with large zoom

What size of camera do you want? To what degree would you be willing to sacrifice other features for compactness? It is not important that the camera be small.

Budget

What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Price range is less than $475

Do you plan to spend more on additional accessories now or in the future? (Lenses, lighting, tripods, batteries, memory cards, camera bags... it adds up!) A camera bag

How long do you plan on keeping this new camera? As long as possible.

Usage

What will you generally use the camera for? Mostly nature shots. Although indoor family shots are also important.

Are you going to photograph sports? What sport, and from how far away? No sports

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos, or other low-light photos? Less indoor shots than outdoors.

Will you make prints, or primarily view and share images on a computer screen? If you make prints, will they typically be small (up to 57") or medium sized (810"), or are you interested in larger sizes as well? Mostly viewing on computer screen with small prints made occasionally.

Are you interested in spending time post-processing to make an image "perfect", or would you prefer to use images basically straight from the camera? I will do some basic post-processing.

Miscellaneous

Are there particular lenses or technical features that are interesting or important to you?

Are there particular brands or models you already have in mind? I am leaning towards the Fujifilm brand. It's my understanding its colors are truer than most cameras.

After talking with my local camera shop I think I have narrowed my search down to the Fujifilm Finepix S3300 and the HS20. I am unable to find any reviews on the S3300.

I don't think I'd put too much stake in the idea that Fuji has truer colors than other brands. If you are concerned with that, shoot in RAW and do the proper color correction work. Those two models are brand new so they haven't been reviewed in any detail yet. You should consider other brands as well, such as the offerings from Panasonic, Canon, and Sony.

Indoor shots with any of these cameras will be somewhat problematic as none are really great in low light. It's one of the sacrifices you make for these large zoom lenses. But it doesn't sound like that's a major issue for you, just use the flash and you'll have to put up with poorer image quality.

Aside from the idea that Fuji has truer colors, what else made you settle on those two models? The rest of the form doesn't really give us enough to go on for other recommendations. Is video important to you at all? Any other features?

What are the offerings from Panasonic, Canon, and Sony? Ultrazooms like Canon SX30, Pan FZ100, Sony HX100V. They all have a lot zoom but is their quality great? The FinePix HS20EXR, Pan FZ100, and Sony HX100V have the CMOS sensor which is supposed to have better IQ. But I haven't seen reviews of any of these yet.

I don't know if there is a p&s with Great quality with large zoom. Maybe he needs a dSLR with a zoom lens.
    Last edited by bascom; 04-21-2011 at 06:53 AM.
    Sony NEX 3 with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. Canon 300HS, Fuji F70, Panasonic ZS19.