Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Went to Gatorland

So my wife and I went to Gatorland today (much more birds though) and got some good shots, let me know what you think.

busch gardens used to be a great place too...and in the 60s 70s ..free beer....all closed now though :-(

What a croc!

Yeah, too bad about the Gardens, but then again, Disney could have bought the I-4 Corridor strip across Florida and divided the state North and South. Then they adopt the Gardens and Cape Canaveral and voila ... the journey really begins.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi

Yeah well Disney's Animal Kingdom and Bush Gardens Safari rides have many exotic animals that would be fun to shoot. My sons godfather (my stepbrother) works for disney management and said he will get me into Animal Kingdom when i have time to go.

When did they close Busch Gardens? I have many fond memories of the place. Kept hoping to go back some day. I guess it's too late now?!

Bush Gardens is not closed!! Go to their website

the one in California is...didn't know they had others..lol

Oh lol, yeah there is the largest one in Tampa FL about 1:45 min from me. Disney and Universal are only 30-45 mins away.

Switch, you asked what we thought of the images.
    I'd say they were a pretty reasonable set of images considering where you were.
    Focus is good and exposure not far off except for the Egret (?) which is pretty well underdone, never easy.
    Compositionally, I don't know whether they are straight from camera or crops but
    4) Rather see the lines horizontal and it's too tight on the right.
    5) Doesn't quite work.
    7) Cropped beak??
    8) More space on right perhaps.
    9) Like too see a bit more of the parent bird.
    You know I'm nit-picking.

I'd like to see a line of EXIF with each image (don't want to have to start digging through the properties).

Are you still shooting JPEG or using RAW now?
    I'm guessing straight from camera and think they would benefit from tweaking the curves and contrast.

For instance...

Name:  Switch 1.jpg
Views: 42
Size:  100.0 KB....Name:  Switch 1a.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  334.5 KB

or

Name:  Switch 2.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  105.7 KB....Name:  Switch 2a.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  313.2 KB

I didn't spend too much time but you can see where I'm going.

Peekayoh, all of the photos were taken in RAW with NO crops. They were also all handheld and taken with the 55-200 kit lens (which i hate but dont have the money for a better long range lens right now)

Now that im looking at them again some could have used a little more exposure so ill have to fix that.

Alot of the photos were hard to get even what i could since there were SOOOO many people there crowding everyone and was about 96 degrees outside so i was getting a little to hot lol.