Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olympus XZ-1 or Panasonic DMC-LX5

Will be soon heading to Italy for a few weeks. Will be traveling lightly so taking my Olympus E-3 is out of the question. Need a compact camera that comes close to the qualities of the E-3 and will also be taking some movie footage. Have narrowed down my choice to the Olympus XZ-1 and the Panasonic DMC-LX5. Keep leaning one way then another. Need some advice in making a final decision.

I was amazed by the sharpness of the XZ-1 lens when I compared samples to other cameras. Other than that it could go either way, but I suspect you'll like the Olympusness of the XZ-1, since that is what you are used to (unless you shoot RAW and use Adobe, in which case a whole lot less difference).

Hard question...

The XZ-1 got a really good review from DPreview and I've owned and LX-5 and it was nice too.

The 24mm wide on the LX-5 is a nice feature but the F1.8>2.4 vs the f2>3.3 on the Lx-5.

Really depends on what you want... I'd say they pretty even match. I might give a hair nod to the olympus because of the super bright lens if doing more indoor and the 24mm wide angel if doing more daylight wide shots.

Tim

Thanks for the quick replies. One of my concerns is the different video formats between the two cameras. How much of an actual difference is there?

I really like my XZ-1, but I generally couldn't care about video so I won't be any help there. I can say that most users have not been happy with the video quality.

How about an EPL2 then you get even closer to your E3 quality. There are some really cool videos I've seen done with it.
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Have thought about that option but really want to keep this travel camera to one that could be slipped into a pocket or a purse.

The video on the Xz1 has had many complaints. So if video is near the top of your list,you may want to consider some alternative cameras such as the Canon G12 ( the S-95 also has video complaints) or the new SX230HS from Canon.

The LX5 and LX3 still also remain good choices.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah what are the video issues that you mention for the XZ1?
    Around every picture there's a corner & round every corner there's a picture
    - the fun's in finding them

Phil-

The complaints have been varied, but slowness to focus after zooming, and visual general chopiness seem to be the "biggies."

Sarah Joyce