Home News Buyers Guide About Advertising

Threaded View

Lightbulb In & Out

Quote Originally Posted by Switchblade906 View Post
    Well in the future i would like to have a bunch of lenses but right now i just want to get the one that will fit all my needs (indoors and out)
    Look, "Switch", with Summer season coming, the 28-75mm f/2.8 (FF & APS-C lens) is a terrific "right down the middle" lens. It provides the flexibility, resolution, sharpness and brilliance anyone could ask for and get for under $450 (TAMRON). It was my walk-around lens for two years, before I went and dropped a grand on the SIGMA 24-70mm f/2.8 DG EX IF HSM. (I was looking for a little more punch on the edges, doing side-to-side landscapes with models.)

If you find yourself inside more often, during the winter, then the 17-50 f/2.8 (APS-only lens) is the wiser move. Same as the 28-75, just w-i-d-e-r viewing on the smaller sensors (α100-α700, SLT-α33, SLT-α55).

Future growth dictates that you then add the better telephoto-class SONY 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G SSM for reach and you should have a reasonable bag for your standard shooting.

Then add a TAMRON SP AF 60mm f/2 Di-II LD MACRO (allows you to focus closer and with low light) for indoor work and you are "golden" for almost any situation.

My experience says that's the line-up. You can always upgrade, later, as necessary. Do not forget to get a flash, though (HVL-F42AM or HVL-F58AM). That's your "go to" weapon of choice, when all else fails.
    Last edited by DonSchap; 04-06-2011 at 07:04 AM.
    Don Schap - BFA, Digital Photography
    A Photographer Is Forever
    Look, I did not create the optical laws of the Universe ... I simply learned to deal with them.
    Remember: It is usually the GLASS, not the camera (except for moving to Full Frame), that gives you the most improvement in your photography.

flickr & Sdi